Stuttering in LAN and Net Games {Haig?}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering in LAN and Net Games {Haig?}

Ive been having some problems with my G400 MAX. When i try to play LAN or NET games of UT and Q3 the game stutters and slows down. My ping online stays around 200-300 and LAN we use 10/100 networks. During single player games it runs great. even with stuttering in online games FPS stay around 40 fps... I am becoming really upset by this... I did the same thing with my old motherboard. Currently The G400 is on IRQ 10 by itself... Ill post full irq's to try to help you guys out. Thanx alot in advance..

BTW i DONT have any Anti-Virus programs running in the background... McRhea....

IRQ 00 System Timer
    IRQ 01 Keyboard
    IRQ 02 Inrrupt Controller
    IRQ 03 COM2
    IRQ 04 COM1
    IRQ 05 SupraExpress 56i
    IRQ 06 Floppy Disk controller
    IRQ 07 LPT1
    IRQ 08 System CMOS
    IRQ 09 Sound Blaster 16 p&p
    IRQ 10 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
    IRQ 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ 11 SupraMAX 56i Voice PCI
    IRQ 11 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
    IRQ 11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 11 Supra 2260 PCI Modem Enumerator
    IRQ 11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IRQ 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IRQ 15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

=Edit= Note. This also happens in many other games... Every one i tried. I didnt happen with my old CL Banshee either. =Edit=
    ------------------
    PIII 450 @ 464
    generic BX6 motherboard
    G400 MAX : )
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
    Creative 36x CD-ROM
    HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
    64 megs PC100 RAM
    Intel 10/100
    Soundblaster 32 AWE
    DiamondMAX 56k
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
    1 92mm Sunon Fan
    4 80mm Sunon Fan's

[This message has been edited by Dyre (edited 08 January 2000).]

Ok I have some questions for you..

1-Are you running 10 or 100 mbps on your lan?

2-How many protocols are installed in your network settings?

3-Is your nic card set for full or half duplex?

4-Does your nic utilize bus mastering?

5- on the hub do you see allot of CRC's/collisions etc?

maybe you can answer some of those question to help me better understand your actual situation.

Thanks,
    Elie

Comment

OK
      -100 mBs
      -no collisions (or very few)
      -Protocals
      TCP/IP
      IPX
      NetBEUI
      -not sure on the rest

The problem also happens when i use my modem for internet games... This rules out the NIC, wouldnt you think... The NIC isnt in use all the time, only for LAN games ussally.

hope that helps

Comment

Not really, your nic is always in use especially when you say your running IPX,
        What happens is your pc is broadcasting every 2 seconds they are called hello packets or it could be trying to find other Novel servers on the network.

I would suggest the following..

1- Get rid of the IPX prot. and if you can NetBEUI as well. that way you eliminate any unnecessary NIC activity or at least bringing it down to a minimum.

2-Another misconception about half or full duplex, people think if they set the nic to full duplex that would speed up the network but it's really used for backbone connectivity from switch to switch or router to router etc. So I suggest you look at your NIC settings and MAKE sure yours and everyone elses nic card is set for HALF DUPLEX.
        In our network that is the most common problem we see which causes packet loss etc.
        Hubs btw do not support full duplex.

3-Also the drivers for your NIC card might be old or not functioning properly, you might want to check and see if there's new drivers and install them.

4-This is your last option, your nic might be bad, you might consider replacing it with one you know works.

5-and this one is important!!!!
        your modem & ethernet card are sharing the same IRQ which could be the main reason why your having problems.
        Is there a way you can set the modem to use IRQ 3 or 4, you know the common Comm 1 or 2 settings?
        What you do is disable the onboard comm1 or comm 2 and use either for your modem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
        Elie

[This message has been edited by Elie (edited 08 January 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Elie (edited 08 January 2000).]

Comment

Hmmm
          I will try and give it a shot... changing the NIC, but this IS the second NIC ive tried using...

Im think now the problem is related to my shitty pci modem... im going to pull it and see if that helps any.

Comment

Cool then don't worry about the Nic just deal with the modem at this point.

Good Luck.
            Regards,
            Elie

Comment

Well, it now apears to be working correctly!
              I pulled out my old PCI Win-Modem and now all is good... I had a though it might be that, but i havent had time to pull it out. I replaced it over chritsmas with my new modem, but i didnt pull the old one out cuase i wanted to try the 'shotgun' stuff to get 112k outta 2 phone lines.. ohhhh well, playing lan is more important to me that 122k.....
              : )

Thanx for the help... lots of stuff i didnt know about my NIC. Thanx
              GReg

Comment

Working...
              X