No announcement yet.

Vanilla with 5ns but without fan plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanilla with 5ns but without fan plug?

I have someone building a system for me. Wanting the best image quality, I specified a G400. I asked him to check the RAM. He gave me the label, and it ends in -5, so 5ns. But he says there's definitely no white plug for a fan. Does anyone else have a card like this? Explanations?

Thanks
    PIII 500e @667
    Soyo SY6BA+IV
    Iwill Slotket II
    G400 32MB Max
    Nokia 445Xi 21"
    and POS 14"
    Aureal Vortex Superquad
    256MB PC133
    IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
    Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Hi,

GRAB that card!!! The ones with 5ns RAM usually overclock very well

Rags

Comment

Get the part number of the card.
      I have a feeling all of the new "4A" models are coming with 5ns now....
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I'm excited about the RAM, don't worry, I'm not letting this one get away.

I was just wondering why there is no fan connector. Kruzin may have something here. What does 4A mean?

Also, the # on the RAM (SEC...-5) is on a sticker attached to it, not embossed on the RAM itself. Is this typical?
        PIII 500e @667
        Soyo SY6BA+IV
        Iwill Slotket II
        G400 32MB Max
        Nokia 445Xi 21"
        and POS 14"
        Aureal Vortex Superquad
        256MB PC133
        IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
        Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

The 4A would mean that it's not only 4x "compatible" (i.e. fits in the slots and runs), but also does 4x transfers.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

i have a '4A' but it has some el cheapo 6ns .. i cant get it any higher than 187.5 running 100% stable. although i have zillions of fans blowing on my card

Comment

Well, so much for my theory.
              Must just be luck of the draw
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Don't worry bout the connector, g400 doesn't come with a fan, only the g400 MAX does.
                If you added a fan, i doubt you could make the power drain low enouph (and the connector small enouph) for it to fid anyway

Comment

Don't worry bout the connector, g400 doesn't come with a fan, only the g400 MAX does.
                  If you added a fan, i doubt you could make the power drain low enouph (and the connector small enouph) for it to fid anyway

Comment

Scout,
                    He just said that so that we know he doesn't have one of the "MAXes that wasn't". If it had the fan connector, then it would probably have been designed to be a MAX, but failed the test.

However, a vanilla 4A with 5ns RAM, I wonder if it's a trend. I doubt it was just an accident, but it may have just been a shortage of 6ns chips.

Okay, that's enough speculation from me for the day.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Correct, Wombat.

So, anyone out there with 5ns but no fan connecter?

I haven't spoken with him to see if it's a 4A. It's brand new, so probably. From mwave.

In case you guys are interested, this card's going on a Soyo SY6BA+IV MB with a PIII 500E on a slocket oc'd to 667+. That's 133+ FSB. At 133 running very stable. The guy building it for me is going to test faster FSB and card speeds before shipping it to me. I can't wait.
                      PIII 500e @667
                      Soyo SY6BA+IV
                      Iwill Slotket II
                      G400 32MB Max
                      Nokia 445Xi 21"
                      and POS 14"
                      Aureal Vortex Superquad
                      256MB PC133
                      IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
                      Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

I just bought my motherboard from them. It's not here yet, but it shipped the next day. And it was cheap, too. $135 for an MS-6167 ($150 after shipping). My neighbor shops with them a lot, and likes it. They have a good return policy, too.

Comment

Perhaps they just ran out of the slower ram or someone in stores screwed up. Perhaps even the equipment was loaded with the incorrect chips. The truth is out there.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X