No announcement yet.

Future PD support for 16-bit Quicktime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future PD support for 16-bit Quicktime?

Does anyone know if support for 16-bit Quicktime (i.e., 2.x) is in the cards for any future versions of Powerdesk? I've tried the suggestion of changing the "OPTIMIZE" variable to "BMP" in qtw.ini, but I still get corrupted video in several QT 2.x applications.

I'm asking this because my kids use the computer a lot and they have several games and educational titles that they haven't been able to use since I replaced my Voodoo3 with the G400 Max a few months ago. If this isn't going to be resolved, I'm going to have to sell the G400Max and go back to V3 or get something else that works. I know it seems silly to get rid of a great video card over something like this, but the bottom line is that the card isn't doing something that I very much need it to do. I know, I know, buy the kids another computer, but with two kids, a stay-at-home mom and one income, that's not feasible. Any words of hope?

------------------
    System specs (well, everyone else is doing it!):

Asus P2B-F motherboard
    Pentium III 450, no overclock
    G400MAX/32DH, no overclock
    192 MB PC100 RAM
    SB Live Value
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI
    ReelMagic Hollywood+
    USR 56K ISA
    Win98 SE

Asus P2B-F motherboard
    256 MB PC100 RAM
    SB Live Value
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI
    ReelMagic Hollywood+
    USR 56K ISA
    Win98 SE

The only support I can offer is that it works just fine for some of us... which isn't exactly very helpful. But it _isn't_ the G400 or the drivers. I'm currently running driver set 5.50 and it is working just fine in 16-bit quicktime. And 5.41 did too, before anyone gets on me for how the development drivers aren't a good indicator of performance!

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I think you'll find in short the answer will be no. Unfortunatly devolpers cannot keep writing for old software.
      There's a work around on there web site for the 16 bit but you've tried this. You are using the unified drivers arn't you? You could try address this to haig if no one else responds but it looks like you're out of luck.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You will have this problem with any graphic card that has recently changed to 32 bit code in their display drivers. In our case, it's PD 5.xx and on ward. We have seen this also with our competitor's cards and their recent display drivers.

The fact is, QT16 is hooking 16 bit dll's onto the display drivers which they should not be doing.

Reason why no one ever noticed this before is because everyone had 16 bit drivers but now, we all are going to 32 bit.

I don't know if we will provide any kind of patch.

Haig

Comment

Haig,

Thanks for the info. I have narrowed it down to one game that just won't work at all with the G400 Max and OPTIMIZE=BMP. That one (Toy Story Animated Storybook from 1996) will actually run, but the color pallete shifts to a nearly black-and-white color set. I've gotten the kids satisfied by getting them another game to replace it. I'm not about to go back to a Voodoo3.

I did notice that the Voodoo3 drivers worked with 16-bit QT 2.x, and I also noticed in the QT 2.x control panel applet that QT is using a driver called 3dfx16v*.drv, which would support your explanation since that's a 16-bit driver. Wonder if they're ever going to make it to 32-bit drivers.

The G400 is a great card with great support. Thanks for supporting this forum.

------------------

Asus P2B-F motherboard
          192 MB PC100 RAM
          SB Live Value
          Hauppauge WinTV PCI
          ReelMagic Hollywood+
          USR 56K ISA
          Win98 SE