G400 is not recognized in my computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 is not recognized in my computer

Merry Christmas to everyone in murc forums!

I have a problem with my G400 and would like anyone to give me some ideas.

My system:
    K6-2 350MHz
    Magic-Pro VIP4L; Chipset VIA Apollo MVP3+686A
    64M PC-100 ram
    Panasonic CDR and Pioneer DVD rom

I have finally decided to replace my old Matrox Mystique 4M (PCI) and got myself G400 16M SH version.
    Problem starts as soon as I install G400 on my computer. My computer fails to show anything on screen as if no videocard were installed on my computer (I said this because my computer gave me the same long beep sound when no videocard is placed in the computer).
    Then I looked up the Matrox website and tried to change the AGP aperture size (don't know what it is) to 128M (My BIOS is the latest and does not allow me to increase further to 256M). But still no luck.
    I have run out of ideas as to what else I can do.

I did uninstall previous drivers but I don't think it is where the problem is. Because my computer just fails to start up as soon as I power up my computer.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Have you tried reseating the card in the slot? I have found that if the card is not seated COMPLETELY in the slot, it will not be recognized. I think it is worth a shot to try it again, even if you have reseated it already...

Comment

One other thing to look for .. If you are switching from a PCI to an AGP card, you might have to "enable" AGP support in the BIOS.

Comment

The long beep on bootup sounds like the mobo doesn't like the board rather than a driver problem.

As Grepman said, check that AGP is enabled.

Next you are going to need to check out the ALI site. Getting any SS7 board working with AGP can be a trial. Look especially at the IRQ router and AGP patches.

Comment

Working...
        X