Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it me or is it me

alright here goes...
    i've got a marvel g400 tv. i can't seem to get it working just right. the first time i got one it was crap so i had to get it back to get a new one. well the new one isn't doing so hot either. mostly all i am experiencing is crashes. especially in quake3. other games last about 2 minutes and then they crash. sometimes the computer just reboots by itself. when i'm in winamp and using plugins it crashes frequently. i have:
    bus mastering disabled
    agp ap. set to 128
    no irq conflicts
    pIII 550
    64mb ram
    ka-6110 motherboard (fic)
    5.41 drivers (i tried q3 with and without opengl and same thing happens)
    1.51 vid tools
    ensoniq pci sound card
    3com 905 network card( i doubt that has anything to do with it )

it seems to work fine when its not doing anything heavy with graphics. i would think the card is broken but whats the luck that i get two broken cards in a row? my luck probably. dvd works fine. could it be something with sound perhaps?
    -imwur

what's that chipset on that mobo?

Comment

Enable bus mastering, force to agp1x
      blah blah blah

Comment

Is that an OC'd speed?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

zwisch, i have the via apollo pro chipset
          greebe, i am not overclocking
          speeder, i will force agp to 1 and see what happens.
          thanks for your replies. i'll let u know how it goes.
          -imwur

Comment

I got just about the same problems with my new Marvel G400 TV. I got the European Version.
            I got: Gigabyte P5A-Board, K6-3 450, 128MB, Creative SB Live, Realteck Network, AVM ISDN-Card, Win98SE
            First, it took me 2 days to get the Marvel to use one IRQ by it's own. But still, I got the same problems. Just about 20 min working on the PC and the crash is not far. Usually, the screen freezes, but the Mouse Pointer is still movable, but no reaction by the applications.

Can anyone help me?
            Is it because of a hardware or Software problem? Is it because of Directx (I used V. 6.1 as well as V.7)?

Thanks for your help

propropro

Comment

speeder, i tried forcing agp to 1x and got the same problem. however, it worked the first time i restarted, but then the problem began again. i checked bios to make sure it was still at agp 1x and it was. thanks anyway.

propropro,
              try everything thats been on this page so far. what exactly is your problem? does your video tools work fine? can you get input from another source and watch tv? do you ever get blue screens or ill ops?
              if you have the correct drivers installed (5.41 is the latest, but 5.30 is the latest supported) then i dont see why it would be a software problem. to kill possibilities you could always reinstall a fresh image onto your machine and start from scratch. you cannot uninstall dx7 (from what i know) so be careful with that, i would just stick with dx6.1. check for bios updates or mb patches - is your card agp or pci?
              -imwur

Comment

How about yourlisting your IRQ listings it may give an insight in what is going on.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

don't know if you were talking to me or not pit but here is mine:

IRQ 5 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet Adapter
                  IRQ 5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  IRQ 10 ENSONIQ AudioPCI
                  IRQ 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  IRQ 11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  IRQ 11 Matrox Marvel G400 AGP - English
                  IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                  IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
                  IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                  IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

i was also wondering if the card getting to hot could be causing it to crash? would anyone recommend a fan for the marvel g400 tv or would there be a difference? there is already a heatsink on it.

Comment

Inwur the irq's look allright.

The dreaded Via chipset. Anyway I've copied one standard response from another thread.

Download the new G400 drivers, download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into
                    Matrox setup program and hopefully it will work.
                    Thats from Mags

Another thing to try is from Rags

Rags would then go on to say that, if you are still have problems, try disabling "Write
                    Cache Pipeline.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by The PIT (edited 05 January 2000).]
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

imwur

as i was working almost 4 days on getting it to work, i removed the new card and use now the mystique with rainbow runner add-on.

before the crashes i usually could use any functions of the card: video, DVD, video-grabbing, (i didn't try to use the tv-in), the video tools were working well.
                      i was using the dx7 drivers and couldn't remove them. next time i will use dx6.1.
                      i never got blue screens, only screen freezes with no reaction any more. i used 5.30 and 5.41 drivers. as far as i know, there are only agp-versions of the g400.

in the meantime i am also thinking of heating problems. i think i will try to use a fan. i also downloaded all the chipset and mb updates.

thanks again for your help,

propropro

Comment

well it looks like the problem is fixed now. all i did was download the via4in1 drivers.
                        i should have known better and i could have had the problem fixed ten years ago. doh. sorry bout all that guys. and thanks for your help. propropro, hopefully your mb updates help you out since they did for me. otherwise i'll still try to help out.
                        -imwur

Comment

Working...
                        X