• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces 800 Mhz Pentium IIIs

I thought my 500Mhz PIII was fast...
    Not anymore:
    http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/H...tel_800MHz.htm

hehe...

Whaddyabet there'll be an 850Mhz Athlon by the end of the Christmas holidays ;-))

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It will be interesting to see as they crank up the CPU powere and the bus speed if we will start having stability problems with some of our existing capture hardware. I am going to upgrade next year but after reading some of the news groups about mother boards I am getting nervouse. My existing P200mmx is very stable and compatable with everything that I run but now is basically slow.

Have a nice Xmas every one.
      paulw

Comment

You can always adopt my strategy...

Upgrade to one step behind the bleeding edge - i.e. about 6 month old technology. It's much cheaper and you get a chance to see if anyone has had any problems!
        Phil
        AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Ah yes. Intel announces a lot of vaporware lately. Must have something to do with AMD's Athlon doing rather well under the Christmas tree. The 700 MHz PIII is advertized everywhere, but you can't really get it (at least not here in Holland). Let's face it, the Pentium architecture is pushed to the limit already. Without a wholly new chip technology, there's not a lot of speed increase to be expected. As leading PC magazines' benchmarks showed AMD's Athlon to be the faster chip, with lots of potential for higher clock speeds, there must have been quite a panic in Intel's labs. There was still a little speed to be gained in the PIII by making the second level cache run at full core clock speed, so that's what they did. But this is really a "brute force" method that has nothing to do with processor architecture, in fact one could call this the last resort.
          This full-speed cache option is of course still open to AMD but they don't seem to need it yet. I have actually SEEN a (tuned and cooled) 1000 MHz Athlon machine!

Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
          X