SBLive!,MS6167 = g400 freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBLive!,MS6167 = g400 freezes

g400 freeze up randomly. Cursor seems active but screen freezes randomly few minutes after W98 loads, while displaying System information, Win Explorer, etc. No answer from Matrox support after over a week. System: MS6167 MB, Athlon 500 Mhz CPU 128MB PC100 Toshiba SDRAM, G400 32MB SH OEM, SB Live! value, IBM 20G HD, Fortron-Source 300W PS, Award 1.3 Bios, PowerDesk 5.41, g400 bios 1.04, Sony 200SX mon. Win98SE with AMD BM drivers 1.22 and AGP miniport.

The system seemed to run fine for hours without SB Live! However, after installing SB Live! value, get randow freezes. Note that system with SB Live! will only work in PCI slot next to AGP slot, otherwise win98 reboots into vga mode. Then, with SB Live in that slot, I get random freezes. I've downloaded and installed latest SB drivers (8-26-99) as well as latest MB bios, g400 bios, PD 5.41. I thought it was SB, G400 incompatibility, but now notice same problem after removing SB Live card.
    I've tried the clean reload of win98 se with no success.

IRQs:
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    10 Matrox Millennium G400 - English
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    11 Creative SB Live! Value
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 AMD 756 PCI Bus Master Dual IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 AMD 756 PCI Bus Master Dual IDE Controller
    5 (free)
    9 (free)
    12 (free)

I'd be blaming your power supply if I didn't know for a fact it's on AMD's list.

Here's what I'd try. Use Matrox's uninstaller to get rid of all traces of 5.41. Install PowerDesk Version 5.30 and the new TurboGL. Remove the SB Live from PCI 1, because it really doesn't belong there.

I'm no Athlon expert, but this doesn't sound like an SB Live issue. I believe there are issues with 5.41 and some non-Intel chipsets.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

What kind of mouse are you using? You have IRQ 12 free, which is usually the PS/2 mouse. Are you using a USB mouse?

Your SB-Live and USB are sharing the same IRQ. This may cause troubles. You may want to try moving the SB-Live to a different PCI slot so that it will put it on a different IRQ. I always try to avoid devices that are sharing IRQs.

Comment

If I read his post correctly, if he moves his soundcard to another slot, he boots into Windows in VGA mode. The only PCI slot he can use with Matrox's drivers appears to be PCI 1.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Perhaps you should

1. Install Windows 98
          2. Install the AGP driver for AMD chipset
          3. Install the latest drivers.

It can also be your RAM !
          MSI is selective in RAM

------------------
          Greetings Niels
          Niels@Rotterdam.nl.com
          Greetings Niels
          Niels@Rotterdam.nl.com

Comment

I recently set up an MS6167 with win98se a SBLive! and Marvel G400 without any problem.
            However until I installed the latest northbridge and southbridge patches (eide and miniport) the techdemo wouldn't run. I also could move the Live! around until I got it the IRQ I wanted it to have. You may have to tweak the BIOS setting which deals with Plug and Play to do so however. Can't be of more help as I don't have access to that machine right now
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Just force your card to agp1, i have a similar system to yours, and i fixed the same problem by forcing to agp1
              blah blah blah

Comment

I'd try updating the BIOS from www.slota.com , because I have practically the SAME system and no problems at AGP2x or anything of the sort.

Comment

I got exactly the same problem:
                  Marvel G400, Gigabyte P5A MB, K6-3 450, 125 MB, SB Live!, Realtek Network, AVM ISDN, Win98SE.
                  The systems runs for about 20-30 min, then screen freezes. I used different drivers (V.5.30 / 5.41, Directx 6.1 / 7.0a) but still got the same problems. The Marvel got IRQ 10 by its own.
                  Is there a problem with directx? or even with SB Live?

Anybody can help me?

[This message has been edited by propropro (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

I don't have any irq conflicts, but the above mentioned crash is still happening after a few minutes.

Comment

Your card will never work in PCI slot 1 since this slot shares ressources with the AGP, hence both cards are conflicting and will create lock ups. Put that SB Live in PCI slot 2 or 3 and try to leave 1 and 5 free. The IRQ resource assignment should be describe in your manual.

Comment

Working...
                      X