• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 hangs when using bus mastering

hi there,
    Ive got an G400 16mbSH running in a Aopen
    ax63pro cel366@550 64mb100mhz sb128pci
    aopen 48x cdrom udma33 hd udma33 win98se
    I can only get my system running when i turn off the busmastering function from the g400.
    Does this impact the performance much...?
    I've run 3dmark99 and i get 1835 3dmarks.
    When i turn on bus mastering my system hangs when i trie to play a 3d game and win98 says
    my drive are scsi (the dma checkbox dissapears????)the only way to undo this is to replace the reg whit an backup.i use the 5.41 driver and mgabios 1.04 and the newest mobo bios aperture size is 128
    please can somebody help me!!!!!!!!

Hi, you might want to try removing your sound card, if you have one. There is a conflict between mine and my MAX. I'm still trying to get mine working with BM also so I'm certainly not an expert.... Good luck.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Your Irq seting will be very helpfull. Your 3D mark is very very slow. Normaly with your configuration you should have around 4000. Desabeling bus mastering have a very big impact in the performence. After trying all you should download redhack and force your AGP X1(if it steel hangs)
      My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
      --------------
      I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
      (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
      Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

where do you get this redhack download from ?
        Rob_b
        pentium III @550mhz
        intel 440BX pci chipset
        512mb memory, g400max,
        cybervision C70 monitor
        win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, I think he means the reGhacks. These can be found at http://www.murc.ws/Utils.html Just download them and double click on the force agp1X and it should do the trick for you. Whether or not it will help with the problem is a totally different matter.... Good luck.
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

0 Systeemtimer
            1 Standaard- (101/102 toetsen) of Microsoft Natural-toetsenbord
            2 Programmeerbare interruptcontroller
            3 Communicatiepoort (COM2)
            3 Communicatiepoort (COM4)
            4 Communicatiepoort (COM1)
            5 Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128
            5 VIA Tech PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
            5 IRQ Holder voor PCI-steering
            6 Standaard-diskettestationcontroller
            7 ECP-printerpoort (LPT1)
            8 Systeem-CMOS/Real-timeklok
            9 (Vrij)
            10 (Vrij)
            11 Matrox Millennium G400 - English
            11 IRQ Holder voor PCI-steering
            12 PS/2 compatibele muispoort
            13 Numerieke-gegevensprocessor
            14 Primary Bus Master IDE controller (dual fifo)
            14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller (Ultra DMA)
            15 Secondary Bus Master IDE controller (dual fifo)
            15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller (Ultra DMA)

this are my irq settings they are in dutch but is useally the same

Comment

Check at your motherboard manufacturer's website for an updated AGP GART driver. The VIA chipset has issues with AGP, and the latest drivers help quite a bit.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Ive installed the latest via drivers and i went back to 5.30 drivers from matrox it still doesn't work.I still have to remove the soundcard maybe that it is the problem.
                I also removed all the basig gart-driver entry's in the registry.also no luck.
                keep those ideas coming please

Comment

You're problem is just like mine. Coincidently, I've got almost the same system configuration.

Celeron 366 at 458
                  Asus P2BF
                  Creative SB 128
                  NE2000 ISA ethernet
                  Quantum UDMA 33 hard disk
                  AOpen CDRW 9420
                  G400 16MB

Even worse, when I turn off bus mastering, I can't run any opengl game anymore. When I turn it on, my comp crashed about 10 secs after booting. Strangest thing is, 3 days ago, it ran fine with bus mastering turned on. Now it just sucks. I tried putting my card in my brother's computer: same problem.

Very weird. I'm going to try agp 1x right now, as well as check asus for updated drivers...

If anybody has any idea, please post them here. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Try changing your AGP aperture size to 256, even if you don't have that much memory. I had problems with 128 on a couple motherboards with VIA chipsets, and 256 fixed the problem for some reason. Also, disable USB support in the system bios if you are not using it.

Comment

you can't set the aperture size too 256 in the Aopen board if you only got 64 megs.the manual says that you can if you got more ram luckely for me that the prices are dropping now.I also tried to remove the soundblaster but that gave no result.It can't be the G400 because it worked in my friends system.
                      keep those ideas coming

Comment

Moritz try to set UCSW or something like that on in the asus bios that worked for a friend of mine
                        cheers

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try UCWS. I already set my aperature size to 256 after trying 64.

I've got an Asus P2B-F motherboard, but don't even know the exact specifications

Comment

Moritz, are you getting the same errors if you run you FSB at 66 MHz?

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Mdm, just in case, you might want to check to see if your AGP divider is set to 2/3.

Paul
                              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                              X