• Show
Clear All

• Help! G400 running 1x AGP Help!

I have a g400 32 megs dual head on this system:

Pentium 3 600B_133 OV at 140 FSB= 630mhz

MB Asus P3B-F
    Memomry 256M PC133
    Diamond Fireport 40 Ultra Scsi2

For some reason Sisoft Sandra and PCI list 1.4 tells me that the AGP is set to 1X, when
    I know the card can do at least 2x.

Im using Powerdesk 5.30, and also tried 5.41.
    but no luck. The g400 has the latest bios too. The MB bios doesn't have a setting for AGP x speed.
    I also tried 600mhz at 100 FSB , simulating a normal configuration, but no luck. Still I get 1x Agp.

Can someone help?

Go to the MURC utilities and download the PD 5 registry hacks. If you install the one that is named forceagp2x.reg, it should run in agp 2x mode.

Comment

THANK YOU< THANK YOU,

I will try it as soon as I get home!

Comment

So What!

How will AGP 2x benefit you? If you're running that kind of horsepower why do you need it?

Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
        CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
        Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Have you ever played around with

NewTeks Lightwave 3d?

If you have, then you will know.....

Comment

Some poeple do use it. Also it's darn annoying when you go from AGP x2 from one motherboard as I did to AGP x1 on another. You know it does work and it's a constant niggle that it doesn't. We also know that at present it doesn't make any differance to games then saying that not everyone is a gamer.
            Perhaps Matrox ought to give us an option to turn the AGP test off.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

By using the reghack and forcing 2x, you are bypassing the AGP test.
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yup but wouldn't it be nice not to have use the reg hack?
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

i think it's not a matrox problem...
                  it's a problem with the asus P3B-F i've been using a P3-450 with an asus P2-B at 133FSB in 2X...but when i switched to the P3B-F (i wanted to use de 140FSB) the 2X wont work ..even at the same setting i used in the P2-B....

Comment

The P3B-F, from what I'm reading on these forums and elsewhere, doesn't seem to be the most ideal overclocker's board, and you guys are running your AGP cards a bit off spec. We've seen problems before with getting overclocked G400's to run at AGP 2x.

I really like Asus boards, and I'm running three of them now (including the preposterously expensive P2B-B). I think Asus may have sacrificed a bit of stability when they went jumperless.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

they say it's not good for overclocking because it hasn't got so much fsb's as the abit or soyo...but for me it's working great P3-450@630...the jumperless and voltage controls are great...

i knew my card wouldn't work at 2x with an fsb of 140...and it really doesn't boder me too much...
                      but it was strange that my old P2-B could made 133 2x..an this one not...may be they got something to fix in the bios...

Comment

Even with that registry tweak, I can't get it into 2x. I'm using an Athlon 700 on an FIC SD11 motherboard. I use photoshop mostly and don't play games, but wonder if 2x would speed up photoshop. I have a G400 MAX Dual Head. Very frusterating.

Comment

Well for all you fanatics out there,

The registry hack does work.

My Apg is set to 2x after the merge. Then I rebooted.

The Agp bus speed is so fast as it is.
                          Its clock at 89MHZ..at 1x. That's highs. Sandra tells me is to high.
                          I.m OC'ing a bus speed of 140 or 150 Mhz.

The p3b-f is a great MB for OC'ing. The problem lies in the BX chipset. You see the Agp bus speed is relevant to the fsb/dram speed. Not like the VIa chipset that you can set the Host clock to a still 33mhz. So at 1x agp im getting 89.00 Mhz after my system OC'ing.
                          So when I go up to 2x , its double that, my G400 card will boot up into windows, but any game I play locks up after a minute or so in AGp2x mode. Also my 3d graphics progies too.

So I switched back to 1x mode, now its stable. At 150mhz OC FSb , my AGp goes to 100mhz.. Also same as above.. windows boots up, everything , until you run some graphics intensive software, it locks up.

Thanks for that Reg Hack.

[This message has been edited by acot (edited 31 December 1999).]

Comment

Gosh...

Maybe that's why your G400 card kept defaulting to AGP 1x...

Bill

------------------
                            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
                            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Working...
                            X