Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My G400 "whines" at me...

Folks,

So I finally get my machine up and running correctly (hardware-wise) and I figure it's time to update to the final Win2k. So I put it in, and it's running fine. So I update to the newest beta drivers for the G400.

And the darn thing starts to squeal. I mean the CARD itself is making a high-pitched squealing noise! I'm running it at 1024x768x32bpp @ 85hz. Nothing astonishing. It doesn't make this noise under Win98, or with the older drivers and RC2/RC3. Weird!

Any ideas? It varies in frequency and intensity depending on the video mode... and goes away entirely when switching modes, only to come back once the mode has been up a second or two.

It's pretty odd... so anyone got any bright ideas?

System Specs:

P3-500 (stock speed & voltage)
    Abit BF6
    IBM hard drives
    Lotsa stuff but it's not an IRQ thing (at least I don't THINK) it is, I suppose I can move shit around if necessary.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

You mean to tell me that a squeal is coming from your...video card? Uh...okay.

Is it a MAX, or have some type of fan on it? Maybe there is some type of wierd power drain causing the fan to run at odd speeds, or causing some component to do...something.

If not...uh...duh...okay...err...are you sure its coming from the actual VIDEO card?

Something could be cooking inside the card. uh...Maybe the TV out part is running wild and causing some type of high frequency pitch...I am clueless beyond those guess.

Call Matrox, they designed the damn thing.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Vibrations off of one of your harddrives??
      Nothing from another card/part of your PC-inards touching the videocard? Vibrations from the cooling fan(s)?

Just a couple of possibilities

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Nah, definitely the video card. Doesn't happen under Win98/Millennium. Just Win2k, and just with the Matrox beta drivers. ARGH. I'm thinking one of the components on my G400 is sub-par and the drivers for Win2k are pushing it too hard, or something like that. *sigh* Well I wanted a MAX anyway, maybe I'll sell this G400 to some sucker... ahem I mean "Win98 User".

- Gurm

------------------
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I've always had a problem similar to that. My G200 Marvel and my old Millenium card both made very high pitched squealing sounds when I'd move the mouse but I never had a problem with them other than that. Does it always make this squealing sound or only when you move the mouse?

Comment

Your card muz be spoilt then. Go and ask for replacement.

Comment

Well, oddly enough it DID start when I put in my new Abit BF6 (which I put in to check on my old Abit BE6 which was screwing up)... hmm... now THERE's a though worth checking up on... Windows 2000 DOES do quite a bit of hardware monitoring that Win98 DOESN'T do. That could certainly explain it.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

OK, so now the G400 not only has hidden T&L hardware it also has hidden sound capability and a peizoelectric speaker built in.
                Wow!
                chuck

PS mine must be an early Max. It does not do 4X transfers and it has no sound capability on my BF6.

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 30 December 1999).]
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

That's because you have other soil under your PC, Chuck

Jord, reformatting D:-drive as it's FATs were completely gone...

------------------
                  I have Win98, think it's a year old, so it must be good... but every 20 minutes I have a GPF. I have a 10.1Gb HDD, and a P3-450, but it always comes to me with its problems..

I bought a CD last week... it said 120 hours of fun on the box... I needed 120 hours to get the darn thing working !!

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Put on an aluminum hat and wait by the window....

Comment

Gurm, I have had exactly the same problem with most of my cards while using Win2K, the Voodoo3 whines, my GeForce whines, the G200 didn't, and my G400 at work doesn't. HOWEVER, I plugged the exact same cards into a different system running the same OS, and no whining. I don't know what the story is, but I actually tend to blame my BH6 mobo. I basically don't want to run Win2K on it because of this noise. I initially thought it was something to do with the amount of current the card was drawing, but then I have since been able to replicate the sound under Win98 (which under normal circumstances doesn't do it) when I use a mobo monitoring utility. Maybe somebody else can piece together those facts and come up with a suggestion as to what might be causing it.

------------------
                      PIII 500@560 (2.1V) - ABit BH6 (NV) - 128MB Corsair CAS2 - 3D Blaster GeForce (135/183) - 12 MB Voodoo2 - SBLive! Value - ViewSonic PS775 - 8.4 + 4.3Gb Quantum Fireball CRs & so on.
                      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

That's really weird gurm. Do you have a sound card, internal modem or anything that EMF from the video card could be inducing a sound in? Can you dampen the sound by touching any component?

Are you using the ACPI kernel? The only hardware monitoring that NT knows about by default is using the ACPI interface, you could try switching back to the APM kernel if you are not already using it (run winnt32, choose upgrade, hold down f5 when asked to hold down f6 for any additional scsi adapters and specify a non-ACPI kernel).

Paul

Comment

Well, Agent31 was on the right track. It's ABIT's hardware monitoring & ACPI implementation. When I crippled the motherboard, disabling ACPI and hardware monitoring by force, it worked fine.

BUT... by a stroke of fortune I have come into possession of an ASUS P3B-F (6 PCI, 1 ISA) which is running JUST FINE now. No whining, no squealing, no nothing.

AND it fixed all my IRQ conflicts. I have to admit it costs 50% more ($160 vs. $120) but it is WELL worth it in stability.

It even fixed all my IRQ issues so I can run video capture and sound concurrently. WOOHOO!

- Gurm (the happy camper)

------------------

Comment

"G400 whines at me.." now that's a switch...

Comment

Working...
                            X