G400 is good...except

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 is good...except

Windows fails to shut down properly. Need help! Each time I shut down or restart Windows (98) my computer goes black, leaving only the mouse pointer visible, and it's frozen. After a hard boot, it then runs Scandisk. Other than that, the video card works well.

I've tried 3 different drivers found on Matrox's site, but the same thing occurs. I even tried a fresh installation of Windows.

I hate to return it because the dual-head feature is a must for my apps!

System specs:

K6-III 450 (2.2v)
    Epox MVP3C mainboard
    G400 32 (non MAX)
    128 PC100 SDRAM
    20.0WD hardrive ATA 33 and Zip (IDE)
    Jaz drive (SCSI)
    SB 64 sound
    Generic modem
    Realtek LAN card

Hmm.. thats really odd, since I have a similar setup to you. G400MAX with Epox MVP3G-M motherboard and K6-III 450 and no problems.

Post your IRQ assignments incase anything is sharing with the G400, and make sure you have the most recent bios for the motherboard and the new VIA agp and chipset drivers. New ones were recently released.

Comment

Yes, this is a familiar problem to me, although I had it only with G200, with an EPOX motherboard and a K6-2 300 and later a K6-2 450. Nothing helped, not even the "shutdown patch" from Microsoft. I had the problem with Win95 as well, and now the kids have it with Win98 SE.

To me it looked like a "feature" of the VIA chipset, but as not everybody has this problem, there may be a cure... I would be interested to know it as well.

M.

------------------
      Athlon500/MSI6167/64M(!)/10GIBM/6GSamsung/1GSCSI IBM/AHA2940/CL2xDVD/FastMM2+MJPEG/HPPSScanner/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/ZIP100SCSI/Mitsumi2xCD-R/Samsung17GL/MX300/AKA Electric Classic
      year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Try running 'msconfig.exe' and disabling 'fast shutdown'.
        FT.

Comment

I had the same problem with G200 and Win98 and reinstall of Windows winth ACPI enabled solved it for me.

Bye
          Pavel

Comment

I have EXACTLY the same problem toooo...... freeze on the restart and shutdown screen ! with the mouse cursor staying on a black screen and hang!!!!!!!!!
            I 've tried to disable the fast shutdown in win 98 se, but no use! I've upgrade the win 98se shutdown problem thru win update but it seems helpless!
            I've even re-install win 98 se but still the same!
            the next step I'm going to do is to deltree me windows, and reinstall a "WINDOWS 98 1st edition"! it seems to work with my friends' g400 dh, but I didn't try it yet! tooo much trouble!

Also U guys may find your computer "working fine" if u UNINSTALL the powerdesk away, and choose the standard vga in the windows! It restart and shutdown perfectly!!!!!

I think there should be some compatibility problems with the power desk driver!!!!!!

My system is a PIII 533B with 128M PC133 SDram and a TINY LITTLE G400 MAX........

Comment

have you tried turning off pdesk before you shut down?

i have turned off pdesk and can't find any difference in system performance

------------------
              p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 14gb ibm 7200rpm, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
              Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
              Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Hy !
                After I read your problem what i can tell you about that is;
                1)Go to your Board Bios and check if you have an IRQ for VGA(enable)
                2)You said that you reenstal Windows, did you put the latest drivers from VIA MVP3 Chipset? the 4in1414 version? Did You?!!! Check it out.
                3)If the problem remains get a program to clean you registry(RegClean)you never know.
                My System specs:
                AMD 450 K6-2
                FIC MVP3 2013 1Mb ATX
                Millenium G200 8+8 MB SGRAM
                Monitor 17´SAMTRON
                64+64 Ram PC100 8ns
                IDe IBM ATA 66 13.5 Gb
                ASUS 50x cdrom
                AZTECH Pci 368 DSP
                Modem Zoom V90
                Realtek LAN card

Max

Comment

There is a known problem with windows 98SE not shutting down with Realtek network cards.
                  The solution is to get the latest drivers from realtek.
                  I know of several computers that have this shutdown problem(non matrox machines).

Comment

Something else I forgot to post aobut the winblows not shuting down problem. I saw a lot of that since I did network installs/setups the past couple years for students at my school. If you have a virus scanner, that can cause the problem. Its abnoxiuos, but Norton anti-virus seems to do that a lot, and McAfee can also sometimes. Also, if you have a network, older novell software can cause problems. Its a pain the ass, bu tI found that its usually software (drivers etc) that does it and not the hardware.

Comment

No video card should be this frustrating to get working properly. I've tried nearly every suggestion (thanks, btw), and nothing helped. I'm posting again as a last cry for help, because I enjoy the G400 (the new turboGL drivers are great!).

What I've done (not necessarily in this order):

- Installed the new Via agp driver.
                      - turned off PowerDesk before shutting down.
                      - Flashed the mainboard's bios to the most recent update (12-6-99)
                      - Updated the Realtek driver.
                      - Removed the Realtek LAN card.
                      - Switched from High color mode to True Color mode and back.
                      - Adjusted refresh rate (hey, you never know).
                      - Installed the latest Matrox driver.

The only major thing I haven't tried is go back to Windows 98 1st Edition. Think that would do any good???

Comment

Hi, I have similar configuration as you (K6-2 450, AOpen AX59Pro (VIA MVP3 mb), Matrox G200. I had same problem, I upgraded BIOS, Matrox dirvers and no help. But I had one another problem. In system devices, PCI bus reported, that it cannot load IRQ table for the system and it cannot load miniport driver. I tried instal Win with ACPI enabled (setup /pj) and it worked. No problems with IRQ miniport driver and no problems with switching off computer. The only problem with enabling ACPI was, that I had to download new BIOS for my mb to be able to do it, it did not work with older BIOS.

Bye
                        Pavel

Comment

Hey loq...

Go back to first edition of Win98... From my experience I can tell you that the original W98 work at least more reliable (if not faster) than the crappy SE.
                          I even think there was some initiative that people who got SE preinstalled get a refund and first edition, because SE plainly sucks!

All of you SE users tell me... What is so much better with SE of W98, that you stop using original W98 and upgrade and patch and patch again and so forth... Is it some kind of a trend? Enlighten me!!

Comment

Hmmm. it seems that there IS a solution, installing Win98 SE with ACPI enabled. Is there anyone with a VIA chipset that has tried this and still has shutdown problems?

M.
                            year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

No trend Goc, Win98 SE just has all the latest updates to Win98 First Edition. USB & Network updates, Y2K issue fixes, IE security fixes, and Internet Connection Sharing to name a few.

I have not experienced any loss in performance with all the latest updates applied. Just keeps working better for me in my system.

So what went so wrong that you feel you can speak in such negative absolutes about SE?

------------------
                              P III 500 @ 560 via 112 FSB* ASUS P2B-LS w/1011 BIOS* 256 MB ECC RAM, ECC Enabled* Seagate 9 GB LVD Cheetah* Seagate 9 GB UW Barracuda* Maxtor DiamondMax 10 GB IDE* Plextor Ultraplex 32 X* Plexwriter 8/2/20 RW* Hitachi GD 2000 IDE DVD CD ROM* SCSI ZIP Insider* G400 MAX, 5.41 drivers, DX 7* SB Live, Liveware 3.0* Sigma Hollywood + DVD decoder* 3Com Courier V. Everything* Sony GDM400PS* Soundworks 5.1* SCSI, LAN & USB enabled* SB Live shares IRQ w/MAX, bus mastering enabled, Win98 SE, NT 4.0 SP4, and Win 2000*

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 17 December 1999).]
                              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                              Matrox P
                              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                              X