Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Rams and System Rams?

Hmmm...excellent question. Here is my opinion:

More system RAM is always better...in theory. With more system RAM your computer can load more into RAM and do less hard disk swapping. The only difference more video RAM will do is allow you to play games at higher resolutions and use more textures before swapping with system RAM. That's it.

There is one way that less video RAM could degrade system performance in a game with small amounts of system RAM. If you are using all of your system RAM, plus the game/demo you are running uses more texture memory than you have video RAM, then in theory it would have to go to hard disk swapping to compensate. This would seriously kill the speed of the card. I guess that is what might have happened with you...

More video RAM means higher resolutions and more texture data can be stored on the video card. So as long as you have enough RAM that the game doesn't have to hard disk swap, then it works all fine.

I'll stop rambling now.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Yeah, what he said.

I think that system RAM is better as it means that not only graphical apps that require more than the memory on the graphics card can swap in and out of it thru AGP or what ever, but also other apps with big documents blah blah are also helped.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

I vote for system RAM. Especially with today's games. UT for instance:
      Keeping track of all of those objects (and giving the the bot AI's room to think) can really cramp things. My mother's computer has 64MB of RAM, and it thrashes like crazy, mine has 128MB, and life is much better. Processor speed is only 20Mhz apart.

I don't feel like giving a whole bunch of examples, but I really like having 128MB in my system. Quieter HD, faster system.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Live the RAM Lifestyle!

(Warning: The following page require's Macromedia's Flash add-on)
        http://www.rammatters.com/flash.html

Apparently, it makes you better looking, while video RAM makes everything else better looking. It's a difficult choice, because I rarely see me.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Video Rams and System Rams?

Hello Pple,
          This question really puzzled me. Which is more important? I did post a question last time regarding the "Dagoth Moor Zoo...Garden demo" and said that my harddisk is pacing like crazy because i have only 64 System ram and 16 G400 video ram.

But now that i have purchased G400 Max with 32 video ram, (still with 64 system ram)the DMZG demo runs smoother, no lags.

What is more important and which result is better??

A) 128 system ram and 16 video ram combo!!!
          or
          b) 64 system ram and 32 video ram combo!!!

only these 2 options 8-) If anyone can explain which Rams is more important for FPS and 3d Games. I am at all hears!!!

Cheers,
          MaTriX.

Comment

Working...
          X