G400 capability specifics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 capability specifics

I'm interested in using my computer for DVD and possibly HDTV (via Hauppauge WinTV-D) playback to TV. Could I do this on my primary display and mirror it to the TV, while using the secondary display for web surfing, etc?

Considering the cost savings of a DVD-ROM drive, a G400, and maybe even a new 19" monitor to boot, this would save mega$$$ over a DVD player and an HDTV unit. I'd like it to run NT4, if possible, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Has anyone done this, or know how feasible it is? To break it down, I have some specific questions:

* The SoftDVD option for G200's does not support AMD processors, but does MatroxDVD for the G400?

* DualHead supports two displays, but can the TV output be used in mirror one of the two desktops, or can it only have two simultaneous outputs (VGA/VGA, VGA/TV)? I could live with DVD playback to TV as one display, but it would be great to use all three outputs at the same time...

* It is my understanding from the Ars Technica forum that DualHead is a possibility with the G400, at least to a point, in NT4. Do its limitations make the TV out unusable?

Well, I can answer some of your questions hopefully.

First, the MatroxDVD player that comes with the G400 cards uses the Cinemaster engine, which is must faster and more acurate than the crappy Zoran SoftDVD that was bundled wit the G200. In addition, this new player has support for AMD 3DNOW! instructions along with MMX optimization, so it plays fine even on a 350mhz cpu.
    As for dual head, its only two outputs at the same time, as you mentioned. Its primary head plus vga OR tv out on the secondary head, in clone mode(same image on both screens) or dual display(seperate images on the two screens, or expanded desktop).
    Can't help you on the NT issue, but hope my answers to your other questions helped.

Comment

Working...
    X