MatroxDVD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MatroxDVD question

Does the MatroxDVD Player work with the latest Cinemaster engine. I would like to give it a try because the "Matrix" menus do not work properly... I see them but cannot click anything...

And do not say that PowerDVD or WinDVD are better (THEY ARE), I just want a faster player for my G400 DH.

------------------
    this message was posted by Digital_Hell_Native

"Better to have people think you're a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    ----------------------------
    Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) (1835-1910), American Writer

I am also having problems with my DVD player and "Matrix". I can see and click on the menues, but I cannot use the "Special Features". When I click on it the screen locks up and nothing happends untill I click on the menu button in the Control Panel. I installed the PCFriendly DVD Player from the Matrix DVD and then I could use the Special Features but instead the movie looks all screwed up. Are there any upgrades for the Matrox DVD Player that would sort these things out or should I try another DVD player? Please help!

Matrox G400 32 DH
    a really new AOpen DVD player (10x/40x)
    PII 350
    96 RAM

Comment

The problems with The Matrix are caused by known bugs in the Software Cinemaster engine used by the Matrox DVD player.

I would suggest trying a different software DVD player, such as <A HREF="http://www.intervideo.com/">WinDVD</A> or <A HREF="http://www.cyberlink.com.tw/english/products/powerdvd.asp">PowerDVD</A>.

Comment

It's not really a bug.
        The Matrix, and a few other new-ish titles are using "multi-layered" DVDs, which put menus and special features on the second layer.

The cinimaster engine that originally came with the G400 is not capable of reading multi-layer (the DVD drive itself must also be multi-layer compatible).

More recent Cinemater engines are multi-layer capable. If you search through the forums, you will find many references to a DVD site that has a patch for the Cinemaster software to enable muli-layer functions.

You could also contact Matrox tech support, and explain the situation to them. They also have a solution.

I am currently using the Matrox DVD player (with the updated engine) on my G400, and The Matrix works fine now.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

What? The stock Matrox dvd player cannot handle multi layer dvds? Most of the movies out there are on multi layer dvds. I can usually see a noticable "hic-up" in the movie as it switches to the second layer. If the dvd masters did their job right, they try to hide it as much as possible by putting it during a scene transition of the movie.

The only time that it has gone off in the weeds on me was during the layer switch in the middle of A Nightmare on Elm Street #7, Wes Craven's A New Nightmare. In normal playback mode, the screen went totally blank with no audio once it hit where it should do the layer switch, but it thought it was still playing. In that case, I had to fast forward past the layer switch to watch the second half of the movie.

Comment

I use the Matrox DVD version I got with my G400 32 DH. If that isnt the latest version, where can I get it?

Comment

I tried to update MatroxDVD with latest Cinemaster engine(2.0.36 I think) and it works much better (no more menu probs)...

You can get the new engine on www.dvdutils.com (i don't know if this is a legal link so feel free to delete it) like some nice tool called dvdgenie. It helps you tuning almost all Sofware DVDPlayers out there...

Have fun...

ICQ#25318265

------------------
              this message was posted by Digital_Hell_Native

"Better to have people think you're a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
              ----------------------------
              Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) (1835-1910), American Writer

[This message has been edited by Digital_Hell_Native (edited 27 December 1999).]

Comment

The matrox dvd software does a fine job (with updated engine). However, if you want to use a soundblaster live (with spdif) to connect to a dolby digital amp, you'll have to get something else in order to get the full 5.1 channel sound. WinDVD 2000 does a fine job of decoding the dolby digital, and it also has no trouble with The Matrix.

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 27 December 1999).]
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

This has been posted before, but I'm gonna repeat it nonetheless (btw, there's a search
                  engine built into this forum )

Install your Matrox DVD player (the one that came on the CD), go to DVD-Utils or any other
                  DVD site on the net that has Cinemaster Engine-updates and download the latest engine...

Now, _Just_ , just extract the file called dvdpl32.dll to the Windows\System directory and you'll be able to access the Matrix's special features...

This way, you get the best of both worlds, a DVD player that is finetuned for your GFX-card & access to the latest features on the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                  X