Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock ups

Hello everyone

I've been struggling with my G200 Marvel TV for almost a year now. The problem is that I get a 1" square on the screen and the PC freezes. The card was replaced once by the vendor, and a second time by Matrox. It is obvious by now that the problem is not defective cards, but some sort clash between it and the ASUS P2B-S I'm using.
    I understand that there are some known issues
    regarding this problem, but I haven't been able to find a clear-cut answer. I have tried every possible BIOS upgrade on both the video and motherboard. I've also ensured that the OS (Win 98) and all drivers are the most current. My biggest concern is that the last failure left me with a dead card, which is what happened with the original adapter. The reason for this failure appears to be that the BIOS is being 'clobbered'.
    Is there any reason why this is happening?
    Is there a solution to this problem?

Matrox Technical Support replaced the second card on spec after re-flashing the BIOS did not work, but offered no explanation when I asked them why this was happening.
    I also suspected a motherboard problem but the fact is that an ATI Xpert98 works flawlessly.
    Any information and suggestions regarding this problem will be very much appreciated.
    My system is configured as follows:

ASUS P2B-S / BIOS v.1011 / Celeron 300A (running @ 300 MHz)
    128 MB PC100 RAM
    Quantum EX 6.3 GB IDE hard disk
    Creative 36X IDE CD-ROM
    Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value
    3Com 3C905B-TX
    Matrox Marvel G200-TV (AGP)
    Device Manager shows no resource conflicts.
    PNP enabled in BIOS. Video and NIC cards sharing IRQ 11.

[This message has been edited by Denis Harrison (edited 27 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Denis Harrison (edited 27 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Denis Harrison (edited 28 December 1999).]

Hi Denis!

.... First of all, I've to tell u that I might not have the answer to your problem, as I've got a G400 DH Max card in my system... but I experienced a similar problem (albeit, only for 2 days and then I changed summin drastically..)

... the thing is though, that I didn't get my card up and running... I had all updates, mobo bios, graphics card bios... all lates software drivers.... reinstalled win98... tried all sorts of bios settings... everything...
    ... furthermore, the PC worked fined in previous days with my ATI Rage (8mb / AGP) card (and monster 3d 12 mb voodoo2 combination)... I was unable to find an answer for the permanent lock ups... (even spaped monitors'n stuff)...

... the Matrox Helpdesk couldn't give me an explanation and speculated that some Matrox cards have a conflict with the Ali Chipset of some mainboards.... (but never ever had any probs. with Intel chipsets...)
    ... on my mainboard was an Ali chipset installed..... might replacing the mobo with another one solve the problem?

... I went to a local dealer explaining the problem... I didn't want to end up with 2 mobos *AND* the graphics card problem... thus, he promissed me to gimme a full refund for a new mobo (with Intel chipset), if I wouldn't get my G400 to work properly... (so, no risk for me really)...

I swaped the mainboards... and everything rocks now.... installation was damn easy - just a matter of minutes...

... now, the thing is, maybe u have got a similar problem at hand?... something has to change there, as I cannot imagine myself living with any kind of computer problem for a year...

... if nobody can come up with an answer, I would consider doing the same thing I have done... (local dealer, new mobo, if not working full refund)... or ... maybe a new graphics card.... sure, the additional bucks for a new card hurt ... but taking the time into consideration u spend already with your system, ... maybe a worthwhile investment...?

... good luck...

Jack

------------------
    [GAS]Jack
    [GAS]Jack

Comment

Working...
    X