Windows startup crunches my processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows startup crunches my processor

Hi, I'd like to start by saying im happy with my g400 max. After initial teething problems the forums and driver updates soon got things running smoothly. (linux and winblows).

Anyhow I have a weird problem now (started before opengl and after the latest driver update, 4.* i think) with windows when it runs the system programs...it includes.
    Explorer
    Rnaapp
    Pdesk
    Realplay
    Rundll
    Systray
    Does anyone know if any of these could be causing the following problem?
    Annoying windows looks loaded only to find when i move the mouse it jumps around the screen for a couple seconds before you can use a shortcut.
    Rather a vauge description of the problem but if could help itd be appreciated.

Aussie Aussie Aussie! *gLUG GlUG GLUG BuRp*
    'Thank Satan'

First off, set real player to not start at your windows startup. It still runs fine when needed. That won't probably be your fix, but it will help ya for speed and free memory.
    Next, get the uninstaller from matrox. And then get the latest,(5.41) drivers. Then uninstall the old ones, restart windows, use your G400 as a standard vga card,then install powerdesk from the setup.exe. If you still got probs, then maybe one of the guru's here can help ya. System specs would be a great help. Full specs not just p3 g400.
    Hope we can help

------------------
    AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.41 w/Turbo MCD and beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Sorry i do have 5.41 ...

erm celeron 366 (now 550), 128ram, atapi 44x, 100 meg zip, g400 dual max, pine soundcard i think, adi 5p+, 32 bit ethernet card.
      'Thank Satan'

Comment

I'd suggest killing off "Realplayer". The others are normal for windows.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have a similar problem with PD 5.41. Try disabling Powerdesk by either crtl-alt-deleting it (temporary fix) or running msconfig and then going to the startup tab and disabling it (more permanent of the two).
          On a different thread, rylan suggests installing the 5.25 PD with the 5.41 drivers, that seems to work also, I forget the location of the thread, use the search engine here if you want to find it.

I don't really see why PD has to run anyway unless you use the hot keys and whatnot.
          Millenium G200 8 Meg (SDRAM) 2.6 - 20 bios; 350 AMD K6-2 on a VIA MVP3 with latest bios; 128 Meg SDRAM; 8.4 Maxtor;

Comment

Are you running Netscape? Bad memory leak in 4.x still not fixed. If you've logged on to this forum twice since the last reboot, or done anything else involving JAVA, you've lost 20% of your system resources. NS has a bad memory leak that still ain't fixed. This applies to Win98 mostly.

Go to Device manager and click the performance tab, resources seem low? Causes the mouse drag on my system. Reboot fixes it. (God, I wish I could send NS or Uncle Bill the invoice for the number of minutes I've given up out of my life for this!) It would come to $$$$.
            Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
            CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
            Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Bixler, you angel!!!!!

Finally I know what my problem with Netscape is, and why it keeps crashing all the time (I'm one for opening 8 or 10 windows at a time... "oooh, bad move", for those of you who played the 11th Hour...)!!!!

I'm just happy to know what it was... I thought it was MS doing some Java voodoo to force us all over to IE... Close, but no cigar, apparently...

As to the question at hand... what mouse do you have? As a Logitech user, I have a feature called "SmartMove" which jumps the mouse to the active button in any dialog box.

Yes, yes, I know we aren't talking about a dialog box, here.... but if that or a similar feature exists in your mouse software, maybe that's what's screwed up.

So don't forget to check that angle as well... try going to Mouse Properties and resetting the orientation of your mouse, making sure the wheel (if you have one) and all buttons are set correctly, and that all features are as they were before....and of course, the correct mouse type is appearing, right?

And it's silly, but... the mouse is clean, yes? and your pad (if cloth) not degraded beyond useability?

Just a thought...

----------------------
              Holly

Comment

Holly:

This probably isn't Psychrist's problem now that I read the sequence in his first post, but here's what I KNOW that NS 4.x does to my Win98 system...not, by the way on Win95--different way of handling swaps I'm told.

I've verified this, and you can check this yourself. Close all background programs and check your 'system resources' under start/settings/control panel/system then click on the Performance tab (nothing running but systray and windows explorer-Jord says you need rnaap too). You should be somewhere around 90-95%, at least I am, anyway all you want is a reference point.

Then load Netscape ONLY, surf around, hit a java applet or two, and then quit the program. Go back and check your system resources as above again, and you'll find you've permanently lost 5-10% of your resources, this loss will accumulate on each NS loading until you finally lock or reboot. This usually happens to me when my resources drop into the 75% range.

To reiterate, the problem is unique to

Win98 and Netscape Communicator 4.x.

I always know it's time to reboot when I notice my mouse pointer jittering as I'm loading a program,--which is why I posted in on Psychrists thread.

My own personal paranoid opinion is that Microsoft designed this into the OS in order to further frustrate those of us who just WONT use IE on principle. (What a goob I am, but I can't help it ) What's more, I have no real principle, because if I really meant what I say about Gates and the Monopoly-that-must-be-destroyed, I'd be posting this on a Linux machine.
                ----------------------------
                Just one of Uncle Bill's sheep who's afraid to make a clean break from the herd.

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 25 December 1999).]
                Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

I do have the other problem that Netscape stays loaded in the memory when I quit it, ocassionally though. Have to disable it from the menu under CTRL+ALT+DEL a couple of times before it lets go.

But The strange hanging of NS could be something like a post I found in the PCFormat magazine: "I get the standard dialogue box saying 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down'. If I click close, it just pops up again (and again, and again, and again)."

This is something more familiar to me as of late

Answer: "This sounds like a damaged .CPL file. To find out which one, doubleclick each one in return. If the applet loads okay, try the next until you get the invalid page fault again. Delet said miscreant and the program will work normal again. Of course, the applet in question won't be available and if it was something you needed, then you have to reinstall it from the Windows/NS CD."

Is this something of an answer to Holly ( ) and Tim?

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord,

I've noticed that on a few rare occasions, but it is a hit or miss occurrence. What I'm describing is relentlessly consistent--and very annoying.

Comment

Let's continue this on the thread Tim started on TSB (before Kruzin comes to send us over there anyway )

-----------------
                      Holly

Comment

Working...
                      X