Leaning Towards a G400 but ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning Towards a G400 but ??

Hi, new poster but I've been a fan of these forums for quite awhile. (Happy mystique user)

I've just bought a new monitor (LG 795FT - 17/.24) and I think its time to spend some money on a new card as the mystique is holding back the system (BP6 / O'c Cel 550 / 128MB) a little. My budget is also a little limited generally leaving me only the following three choices:

V3 2000
    V770 TNT 2 (32Mb)
    G400 (16Mb)

I'm leaning towards the G400 (mostly for the reported visual quality) but is this going to be the most bang for the buck - so to speak.

My current usage habits are mostly web oriented but include some programming, word processing, flight sims, racing sims (GP3 coming soon) and maybe some Unreal Tourni in the future.

I realise that the G400 may be a little harder to get working initially but am I setting myself up for none stop tweaking with the games and/or the desktop.

Don't get me wrong, I love tweaking - its one of my favorite pastimes but my wife would prefer a system that was stable :_)

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

------------------
    Steve "Crash" Roberts
    Steve "Crash" Roberts

Me again, sorry I just reread my post and I didn't really mean to start a hardware comparison thread - which would be in bad form.

As I'm pretty much already decided on the G400, I guess what I'm really looking for is some hints on what should I be doing to make the transition easier.

IE some pointer to FAQs which might identify the standard hardships (if there are any in getting a G400 up to speed).

I probably won't receive the card for at least a week as they are pretty slim on the ground these days.

Thanks
    Steve "Crash" Roberts

Comment

get a max if u can
      i had no problems with mine untill i installed dx7a
      i will put it simply ok
      b 4 u rip out the old card set the vid drivers back to standard vga ok then power down pull out old card put in new card then install the drivers on the disc and see what u have got
      if u have no problems get the newest drivers here from this site also the turbo opengl ones then go to gaming heaven ok
      if u have any problems these guys here will be able to fix it
      cya seven
      hell yeah i love this g 400 max

Comment

I know the old adage about waiting for the next technology and you'll always be waiting. But, I would try and get some rumors on release date of next gen matrox card and then weigh the options of wether or not to buy now. Obviously if money is not an issue than by all means get a max. I have a friend with a voodoo2 who was going to make the next jump and he finally decided to wait until for the next matrox card. I'll shut up now
        Asus K7V
        Athlon 700
        128mb PC133 HSDRAM
        Matrox Millennium g400max
        Adaptec 2940U2W
        IBM 9gb U2W
        Plextor 8/20 cdr
        Diamond MX300
        3com 905b-tx

Comment

Hi Tacco,

if you could add another few bucks and head for the G400 32MB DH Vanilla you'd be more than happy.

Anyway, how to change form Mystique to G400:

. boot into safe mode
          . use the uninstaller (http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/un_513.zip)
          . shutdown your computer (don't reboot)
          . swap cards
          . reboot
          . enter your MoBo's BIOS and change Graphics Aperture Size to 256MB
          . reboot and on prompt, point to the location where the latest PowerDesk is extracted to (http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/w9x_541.exe)
          . reboot and install the TurboGL (http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/TurboGL/turboglv1.exe)

I think that's about it.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Maggi

Working Rig:
          Asus P2B-DS @ 100MHz FSB
          Double Pentium III-450
          4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
          Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
          Eye-Q 777 (22" with 127kHz) on primary VGA
          Nokia 445Xi (21") on secondary VGA

Home Rig:
          Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 100MHz FSB
          Celeron 333A @ 500MHz
          2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
          Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
          CTX VL710T (17")
          and a brand new Pioneer 303S SCSI-DVD

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks for the advice,

I'm calling around today to get the best price and will try for the 32Mb.

I will be getting a 3D sound card later this week and I've heard that there are some compatability issues with some cards re (A3d), should I avoid these cards with a G400?

Steve "Crash" Roberts

Comment

I've never had any problems setting up G400 cards. Nor have I had any incompatabilities with sound cards.

-----------------------
              Chris.

Comment

Hi Gang,

Allstarshop.com has a bunch of G400's in stock. EVEN THE MAX!!!!!!!!!

G400 DH 32MB MAX $215.00 in stock

G400 DH 32MB Retail $195.00 in stock

G400 DH 32MB Bulk $157.00 in stock

G400 SH 32MB Bulk $144.00 in stock

G400 SH 16MB Bulk $103.00 in stock

Call them at 1-800-424-7188 or
                http://www.allstarshop.com/

Paul
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hey Tacco,

If at all possible, purchase a G400 with the Dual Head feature. If possible, get the MAX. If you're into some sort of development, be it programming, desktop publishing, web development, or everything else under the sun, the DH helps a lot. I love it and would be devastated at going back to a single monitor setup.

Enjoy your new G400...it's a keeper.

------------------
                  Regards,

Ben

Config: AOPen AX6BC, P2 400@450, 128MB RAM, SB Live!, Netgear 10/100, Adapted 2940U2W SCSI adapter, Seagate Barracuda 4.3GB UW, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD reader, STB Blackmagic V2 (SLI) - removed after new TurboGL, Matrox G400MAX,
                  Viewsonic PS790 and G773, Win98SE

Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Well I've raced all over town and most everyone is sold-out of G400s. Just ordered a 32 Mb DH OEM for $249 - (Can$) best I could find. Unfortunately I can't spring another 100 or so for the Max.

Now that the card is on its way, my plan is to do a fresh install of Win98 (need to clean my drive and reformat to Fat32) and this should ensure that there are no driver conflicts.

seven & Maggi - thanks for the install comments, I'll keep a copy handy during the process.

mj12 - wish I could wait for new tech (I would if I had a V2 or better) but the Mystique is getting a bit tired and is holding up a bright gaming future.

ObiBen - I've decided on the DH more or less for the same reasoning and I would love a MAX but the extra $100 is destined for a printer/scanner upgrade.

Questions:

1. Thanks to RoGuE for the sound card comment, perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought I had read that some people are having conflicts with vortex/Mx300 cards? If I'm wrong I'll probably pick up an MX300 next week.

2. Are the latest drivers the best to go with or are some of the earlier versions better - read more stable/faster ect??

3. Are then any definite areas of conflict with any other hardware or software that I should be aware of??

4. Are there any linux users here, and how does the card perform in linux??

Gotta run, pizza's here

------------------
                    Steve "Crash" Roberts
                    Steve "Crash" Roberts

Comment

If you want to play games stick with Windows.
                      I had no problems with PD 5.41, so give it a try, and if you have problems go back to older drivers.

With the new TurboGL you might have problems (not the one that comes with 5.41) you being requiered to have 128 mb of RAM and to set the AGP aperture size to 256.

The conflicts might be with DirectX 7.0 and 7.0a.

Comment

Working...
                      X