what is AGP Pro 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is AGP Pro 5?

Since people are talking about the 820 chipset and AGP 4x, what is AGP Pro 5 that is integrated into the Intel 840 workstation chipset?

This article mentions it:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/991019-000002.html

So when will Matrox have a card out that supports AGP Pro 5?

agp pro is an extended agp slot designed to provide extra voltage to high end workstation video cards. It is actually a longer slot. When I say high end, I mean >$1000, and >64MB on board memory. ie. 3dlabs Oxygen GMX types (although even that one isn't agp pro yet).
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

All of Asus' new i820 boards have an AGP Pro slot.

Comment

I thought the only chipset that is out currently that support AGP Pro 5 is the i840- I don't think the i820 supports it.

The 840 sure isn't getting much press...

Comment

ASUS has always done little stuff like that, it's very cool really. Their P5 boards used to all come with "PCI Pro" slots (although I can't recall the real name of the slot type) which could have some VERY fast video cards plugged into them (well, very fast for 4 years ago... hehe).

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
          X