Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NT4+G200+PD4.34=Freeze (No answer from Matrox Support, Any ideas?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4+G200+PD4.34=Freeze (No answer from Matrox Support, Any ideas?)

Ok, Here's the scoop:

Loaded PD 4.34 onto the systems you see below. They did have PD 4.22 loaded for quite a while now. After PD 4.34 was loaded a majority of these machines began to experience freeze ups. When a freeze-up would occur, there was never a Dr. Watson, no BSOD, nothing. The NT event log also showed nothing.

After a freeze-up in some cases the screen would have vertical streaks of lines running from top of the screen to the bottom. The freeze-ups would most likely happen when a scroll bar was moved. After a freeze up, the machine had to be powered down using the power switch. Keyboard and mouse are useless.

Going back to PD 4.22 cures the problem.

Gateway E-4200 (I have ~100 of these)
    Jabil Tabor Motherboard
    Pheonix BIOS (up to date from Gateway)
    PIII 450 (not overclocked)
    Intel 82443 BX Chipset
    128MB PC100

NT4 SP6a (tested with SP5 also, same problem)

Matrox G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (2.6.2 bios)
    PD 4.34 for G200-400 for NT4
    1280x1024x16bitx85Hz on a Gateway VX1100 21"

MS Intellimouse PS/2 (driver version 2.2d)
    3Com 3c905B-tx (driver version 401b)
    Adaptec 2940U2 (driver version 3.02.2)
    Creative Labs 64D PCI (driver ver unknown)
    IBM DNES-309170W 9GB SCSI
    Toshiba XM-6401TA 40X SCSI

Interrupts:
    01 msi8042
    03 Serial
    04 Serial
    06 Floppy
    09 es137140 (CL 64D)
    10 aic78u2 (Adaptec 2940U2)
    11 mga64 (G200)
    12 msi8042
    15 El90x (3Com 3c905b)

Slot config:
    AGP = G200
    PCI = 2940U2
    PCI = empty (uses the same interrupt as AGP)
    PCI = 3c905b
    PCI = 64D
    ISA = Empty
    ISA = Empty

Both IDE controllers are disabled in BIOS, and the Plug & Play setting is set to "No".

PCAnywhere is not loaded, nor is any other remote access software.

Anyone have any ideas? Matrox support has yet to answer.

Thanks,
    Alan

------------------
    Alan R. Vidmar
    Assistant Director of IT
    University of Colorado - Boulder
    Alan.Vidmar@Colorado.edu
    "A programmer is a person who turns coffee into software."

[This message has been edited by vidmar (edited 21 December 1999).]
    Alan R. Vidmar
    Assistant Director of IT
    Alan.Vidmar@Colorado.edu

Vidmar:

No help here, just some advice. If no one weighs in with real answers, post again with the word "Haig" in the title of your post. You'll get answers. He's a big gun in Matrox tech support who checks in to this forum on his own time with real info and answers. Good luck!
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Surely this is a problem for Gateway. If you have 100 of these babies you must have a good contact. If there is a problem with the cards, they should know about it.

Richard.

Comment

Nah, it's only the 4.34 drivers causing the problem. Probably a driver bug.

Alan, you may want to try to disable PowerDesk in the registry (at HKLM/.../Windows/Run), and/or try 32 bpp display modes. Also, there may be machine specific conflicts (check individual BIOS settings), not affected by the Ghosting process.

On a side track try to get Haig's attention. If you can't find a workaround you may have to keep the boxes on 4.22 for now.
        P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

I didn't order these Gateways with the G200 cards. (Gateway only sells ATI now) I added these in myself. These G200s are retail white box cards.

All of the machines have the exact same bios settings, I personally checked each one

myself.

In the 4.31 driver set Matrox mentions something about "fixing" the bus-mastering. I wonder if these motherboards are a bit more sensitive to the "fix" applied in the > 4.31 drivers?

I would hate to have to "uncheck" the ability for the G200s to use bus-mastering. But I guess its worth a shot.

(Edit: I have already removed the quick desk program from the windows run registry. That way I can keep my users from messing with the display settings)

Alan

------------------
          Alan R. Vidmar
          Assistant Director of IT
          Alan.Vidmar@Colorado.edu

[This message has been edited by vidmar (edited 22 December 1999).]
          Alan R. Vidmar
          Assistant Director of IT
          Alan.Vidmar@Colorado.edu

Comment

If you find a solution, please tell me what it is. You've seen my posts before; I'm having the same problems. For the time being, I'm sticking with 4.22.

Comment

Working...
            X