Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of the usefullness of agp 1/2/4x

Hi boys and girls,

I've found this nice little article on "www.aceshardware.com" and it figures out that a GeForce AGP2x drivers get beaten by a GeForce AGP1x driver (with Athlon special 3dnow instruction). So it looks quite obvious that AGP isn't such an interesting thing if you compare it to 3dnow!

I know what you'll tell me, you want an Athlon AND agp4x ;-) Well if you have to much money, I subscribe to get some ;-)

Here's the article:

More about the 3.62 Athlon Geforce Drivers (SOFTWARE)
    Posted By Johan
    Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 7:01:14 PM
    Both nVidia and AMD have confirmed to us that the special "Athlon + Geforce" 3.62 Drivers do indeed make the videocard work at AGP 1x (Instead of 2x), to increase stability. You probably have heard about that. The interesting thing is that the 3.62 driver does contain Enhanced 3DNow! ("Athlon 3DNow!") instructions and is therefore better optimised for the Athlon than previous drivers.The benchmarks I did a while ago confirm this: (Athlon 700, Fester motherboard, AMD AGP miniport 4.45, ASUS V6600 Geforce 256 (120/166))

Quake 3 nVidia 3.48 Driver nVidia 3.62 Driver
    Fast 89.7 92
    Normal 81.5 88.6
    HQ 1024x768 39.7 39

Notice that performance increases at lower resolutions (better CPU/3DNow! optimalisations), while the performance decreases at higher resolutions (no more AGP 2x).

I don't know if you folks remembers me, but I'm back (with a G400 instead of a G200 ;-))

See ya, Vlip (aka Vlipy)

------------------
    "A vaincre sans péril, l'on triomphe sans gloire"
    Corneille

AMD K6-III 420, Asus P5-A, 128Mb PC100 SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX, Sb Live and a lot more toys and gadgets.
Working...
X