G400 and Asus P5A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and Asus P5A

From reading the posts on the boards I can tell that if anyone can help me it'll be you guys (an gals? =)
    I have just bought the G400 32Mb Dual and I have an Asus P5A motherboard. I've flashed my bios to version 1007 and have installed the ALi AGP Driver 1.65 in Win98 but my computer still doesn't recognise the G400 in its AGP slot. I have set my aperature to 256Mb in the bios but no change I'm using my old Matrox Mystique (in the PCI slot next to my AGP slot ) at the minute but I have tried booting my system with just the G400 and no Mystique in and still nothing.
    Please help as its driving me nuts
    Cheers and Happy Christmas
    LogiK

Sort of forgot to include some stuff
    System :
    K6-2 3D 350 , 64Mb , Win98
    G400 is in slot but system treats it as if it isn't even in (and yes it is pushed fully into the AGP slot).
    If I boot system with G400 in and monitor lead connected to it and no mystique connected to system the system beeps twice ( I think ) and the monitor power led blinks (indicating no signal)
    Thought this might be helpful
    LogiK

Comment

Not really sure if I can give you anything in the way of suggestions, but I'm using a P5A and a G400, and I have no problems. Might your motherboard have a defective AGP slot?

-Michael

------------------
      -Michael
      ---------------
      "Fight all the things that betray you."
      --Excerpt from "Farscape: Rhapsody in Blue."
      G400 32MB DH. Asus p5a. AMD K63-450. 128 MB. Huappage WinTV-PCI. SoundBlaster Live Value.
      -Michael
      ---------------
      "There is much cruelty in the universe.."
      "Yeah, and we seem to have a treasure map to it..."
      --Excerpt from "Farscape: Bone to be Wild."
      G400 32MB DH. Asus p5a. AMD K63-450. 128 MB. Huappage WinTV-PCI. SoundBlaster Live Value.

Comment

It sounds as if the G400 is not seated correctly.

The AGP slot can be extremely finickey in some cases. It is aggravated by having two levels of gold finger leads on each side. If it is leaning too much to the left or to the right, it won't boot. If the case/mobo/vid card do not line up well, you can't get the video card leveled in the AGP slot very well. Some of the pins may not be connected properly, or worse, connected wrong.

Try reseating it a couple of times.

Comment

Do you have the motherboard set to "Primary AGP"?

Rags

Comment

Hi,

I cant help but agree with Thundrchez concerning try slotting it in a few time wiggling it lightly as you do it and if no go try going into your bios and make sure you have "VGA BIOS Sequence = AGP/PCI and not PCI/AGP because it will give precedence to your PCI card and if you still have drivers installed it wont even boot because it has initialized your PCI card or so it thinks!

On the flip side of it all if you cant get it to go after you have tried that i would suggest trying the G400 in another MB to see if it boots at all!

Cheers!

Comment

I having problems with my g400 on a p5a as well( see my post). I realy doubt if it's the card. what i had to do was move all my other cards as far away as possible from the agp slot(if you got room) but your problem is that is not picking the card up at all. Go into the bios and try changing it to read the agp card first, you might have to do what i did...(pray that you don't.) I got so frustrated i re-installed win98 and it still didn't work. Then i re-installed windows in a new directory and took all my cards out but the g400 and re-installed them one by one making sure that the g400 works fine before re-installing the other cards, like i said earlier i don't think it's the card, most likely it's the p5a. A good MB but with all the new Mb's out, it's kinda considered "LOW-END" from what i've been reading and the e-mails i've got. Keep faith and keep reading post and don't blam it on the g400 it's a great card if you can get it to work right. It took me more than a week to get it running and i am still having problems but with only one game so far(nfl fever 2000) for all i know it most likely the game, that's probally why the game only cost $20.... Only try what i did as a last and desperate option ..it's a headache. Good Luck

peace from Southeast D.C.

Comment

Cheers for the posts guy I appreciate all the help I can get! I have set the AGP/PCI boot sequence in my bios but it still doesn' register the card as being inserted. I'll trying <eek> wiggling it as I turn on the system and removing all my other expansion card (modem, sound card, matrox mystic).
                Keep you posted
                LogiK

Comment

I've just made sure that my G400 is fully inserted and secure in my motherboard. THe system still does regonise that I even have anything plugged into the AGP slot Rags I can't see a setting in my Bios that refers to 'Primary AGP.' Could this be a problem? After I flashed my bios I reloaded setup defaults into the bios and the only 2 things I changed were the AGP/PCI bootup sequence and disable com2 (which I don't use).
                  Any suggestions? =)
                  LogiK

p.s. Has any P5A user tried the 1009 beta bios drivers? Available off the unofficial Asus P5A page: http://www.cs.montana.edu/%7Ekimh/p5a.html

Comment

Oh and I changed my AGP aperature size to 128Mb
                    LogiK

Comment

I'm using the 1009.1 bios for one month now. It's working perfectly with my G400!

You should try to stick your G400 in another computer and to put another agp card in your computer. Just to see wich part is defect. I do believe it must be something like that.

Good luck.

Vlip

Comment

I'm just off the phone with UK technical support which just suggested trying all the things I've already done. Vlip cheers for the post I'm now thinking of flashing my bios to 1009 and hope that it picks up the G400. I was just wanting to know if any1 had any problems with revision 1009 I'll try the G400 in a m8's machine l8er on today if I can't get it working then.
                        Cheers as always
                        LogiK

Comment

Vlip m8 u're a gem I flashed the bios to version 1009.1 and it picked up the G400 first time! For any1 else having the same problems I was goto: http://www.cs.montana.edu/7Ekimh/p5a.html
                          and get the newest (and yes I know its only a beta) version of the bios. Upload it to your system and all your problems should be gone
                          Thanks for all the help guys u've been great!
                          Happy Christmas an New Year
                          LogiK

Comment

Working...
                          X