G400 & Abit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 & Abit

Am thinking of getting a G400 - is there a problem with Abit boards (have a BH6)- also is it really worth getting a MAX as the regular G400 can be o/c - am from UK and the present price for a MAX is £180 (about $300)- reason for upgrade (from savage4 P3-500 o/c to 560) is mainly games(GPL,Q3,UT,RC2000,GP500) but dualhead looks interesting - does this work with W95(c)? - thanks in anticipation
    inky

I haven't had any problems with my Abit BX6r2 and my G400.

I have my G400 overclocked as if it were a stock G400 MAX. I do have a huge fan pointed at it. However, you can overclock the MAXes to some extent as well. I got my G400 early for a decent price. I had originally ordered a MAX, but when they had the regular in stock with no sight of the MAXes, I took the regular.

I have the dual head working in W95C, but I only use it for DVDmax. The display properties tab is there to make it look as if dual head monitors are available in 95, but I haven't ever tried that. Don't quote me on that working because I've never tried that.

Comment

I have the max running on my abit bh6 (with the newest bios)

while you can raise the memory/core speeds of the nonmax to max levels you can not increase the speed of the ramdac.

plus the max comes with the fax, the non max you have to go buy and install a fan on it yourself.

Comment

I have a year and a half old BH6. It's running my P3-558 and a G400 Vanilla DH 32MB at above G400 MAX speed

That's 124MHZ FSB so well over spec AGP speed. Completely stable. Play many long hours of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. Much better than my friend's ASUS P2B.

Comment

dneal are you at agp 2X??

------------------
          Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

I've tried a MAX and a vanilla in both of my BH6 mobo's and also in a BP6 mobo... works well in every config, so you needn't worry about it...

I advise buying a MAX... It costs more but as Thunderchez said... while you can get a vanilla to work on MAX speed, MAX can easily shoot over it's speed with a considerable gain...

Comment

Working...
            X