Driver question win98 v541

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver question win98 v541

Hullo all. I bought my g400 max about 2 weeks after they came out. I've kept up with driver updates, and have noticed that throughout it all, windows has never said anything about the card being a g400max, just a dual head. I never really cared much until I installed one of these guys at work today, and it game up as a g400 max. The system at work even installed the TurboGL from within the driver setup utility. I came home and reinstalled all the drivers, but still no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Warchild

I can offer you no explanation of why this happens with the MAX, but it happens to me too.

If you want Device Manager to say "Matrox Millenium G400 Dualhead MAX," instead of just plain "Dualhead" you have to manipulate it.

When you go to install the drivers, select "Display a list of all drivers..." and then select "Show all hardware...." and make the selection for the MAX from there. Mine tells me that these are not the drivers for this device, but I did it anyway and it worked.

Having tried it both ways, I detect no difference so it's just preference as to how you want to see it listed in Device Manager.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

I had the same thing happen when I installed my MAX. It didn't pick the MAX when I uninstalled and updated my drivers either. I contacted tech support and asked them why and recieved this responce.

"Dear Sir,
      The detection is okay."

Now it is all perfectly clear.

------------------
      Workstation Specs:
      Intel Pentium III 500 mhz, Intel SE440BX-2, 256m PC-100, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX 32m, Soundblaster Live, Hollywood Plus, Promise ATA66 Controller, Intel PRO100B NIC, WD 9g Expert 7,200 RPM HD, Sony 5x/32x DVD-ROM, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows 98 SE

Server Specs:
      Dual - Intel Pentium II 333 mhz, Intel DK440LX, 256m PC-100, Productiva G100 8m, Intel PRO100B NIC, WD 18g 7,200 RPM UW SCSI HD, Sony 32x CD-ROM, 15" Sony 15sf, and Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a
      Workstation Specs:
      Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

This might seem stupid, but do you have the latest BIOS for your MAX?

I think the latest is 1.5-22.

Dont know if this will fix it, but it sort of makes sense. IE, the new cards at your work say they are MAXs, and they no doubt have the latest BIOS installed from the factory.

Cant hurt to check.

Comment

Ali, sounds logical, but I have the 1.5.22 BIOS for the MAX and it still loads the regular dualhead drivers by default.
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

I updated the BIOS before I installed the new drivers. I dunno...I went ahead and forced it as SCompRacer said so atleast i can brag now at the next lan party. Like he said, I didn't see any performance increase, but that TurboGL sure is impressive - My frame rate in q3a went up around 15 fps. Not to shabby!

Warchild

Comment

For the 100000000000 time...
              IT USES THE SAME DRIVERS
              It does not matter if it detects as a MAX or not. The drivers files and registry entries are identical.
              If you go to your display properties, and look at the info tab on PD it will still report a MAX, and 360MHz RAMDAC.
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin,

I think most of us understand that it's not a real problem as far as drivers and registry entries go. We're really curious just exactly what the difference between a card that is identified as a Max and one that's not is. It's really interesting that some get identified and some don't, and if you don't want to know, please, give the rest of us the chance to find out for ourselves.

Thanks

------------------
                Ace
                "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600
                AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                X