Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX at 504MHz

Hi all,

I'm running my new G400 MAX with a 450 MHz PII, Abit BH6 motherboard, 256MB SDRAM, SB Live! Value, Voodoo2, Windows 98 SE and the 5.30 Matrox drivers.

It's fine with the PII at 450 MHz but when I overclock to 504 MHz it will not run Windows.
    On startup the DOS commands are displayed. It gets to
    C:\>keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
    then two C:\> prompts for a few seconds and then the monitor display goes off and the hard drive stops. I then have to switch off and reboot.

With a Matrox Millenium I instead of the G400 MAX on exactly the same system it runs at 504 MHz with no problem.

I’ve got three fans on the CPU and two case fans. The problem is still there even with the case cover off. In safe mode Windows starts and runs OK at 504MHz with the G400 MAX for long periods using the standard VGA driver.

This all makes me think that this is not an overheating problem or a component problem. I may be wrong but it’s as though the Matrox driver switches off the display.

I’m into flight sims and frame rate is important to me. This problem means that with the G400 MAX installed I have to run my 3dfx sims on the Voodoo2 slower than I did before. I’m disappointed, especially as I’ve paid over the odds to get this card direct from Matrox because it wasn’t being made available elsewhere in the UK.

On Compuserve’s Matrox forum they are unable to offer advice on overclocked systems and have directed me to this site. Any help would be appreciated.

GP

Have you forced AGP speed to 1x yet? Just a hunch on my part, not even qualified to be an educated guess.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just curious but have you overclocked your G400 at all?...It sounds like you have and all the extra bus speeds are killing it!

Just a thought!

Cheers!

Comment

Just curious but have you overclocked your G400 at all?...It sounds like you have and all the extra bus speeds are killing it!

Just a thought!

Cheers!

Comment

AGP and the cards for AGP tend to be very picky about the overclocking of the AGP bus. When you up the FSB above 100MHz at 2/3 divider you are overclocking the AGP bus which is at 66MHz by standard. When you do that you are in essence overclocking the card in than slot thus creating the potential for problems.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Something's not right GP.
            I have an abit bx6r2 (192mb ram) , sb-live-value, a p3-450 overclocked to 581mhz, and my G400max is very stable at 2x agp. I can even overclock my max easily to 173/216 (and 165/220).
            This is with a retail p3-450 with the stock fan, and the stock fan on the g400max.

Make sure your agp divider is set to 2/3.
            What type of ram do you have? You can also try setting your CAS to "3".

What is the irq that your g400max is assigned? Make sure it is in the 9-11 range. Also make sure no other devices are sharing this irq.
            Do not cache the video bios, video ram, or any of the memory ranges.

What slot and irq did the sb-live grab? What about the dos emulation driver?

Also, does the v2 run on the overclocked system? If you are running your video throught this board, it could be the v2 locking up, as it does go throught a detection phase on startup.

send more info!!!

Comment

This is going to sound stupid , but humor me.
              Borrow a keyboard from a friend and try it inplace of the one you have.
              chuck

------------------
              ABit BF6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hi

I have had no problems at all and I am running my G400 MAX with this lot :-

System Specs

G400 MAX 2X AGP o\c [216 x 162 with p-strip]
                P3 450 running at 630 mhz (140 fsb) 2.0v s-code SL35D Costa Rica (oem)
                Alpha P3 125c Copper Embedded heatsink
                Abit BE6 Motherboard
                128 mb pc 100 sdram (my lucky dimm)
                17.3gb Fujitsu h\d Udma 66
                21"Sony monitor
                SB Live Value
                Diamond Super Express 56i Modem
                Pioneer 10X DVD Drive
                Supermicro SC-750 full tower case

My Agp is currently running at 186 Mhz and seems to like it too !! :P:P

Whad da ya think :-
                Test Results:
                3DMark Result : 6,288 3DMarks
                Synthetic CPU 3D Speed : 9,811 CPU 3DMarks
                Rasterizer Score : 2,785 3DRasterMarks
                Game 1 - Race: 67.8 FPS
                Game 2 - First Person: 58.6 FPS
                Fill Rate : 269.3 MTexels/s
                Fill Rate With Multi-Texturing:268.8MTexels/s
                2MB Texture Rendering Speed: 396.6 FP
                4MB Texture Rendering Speed: 317.2FPS
                8MB Texture Rendering Speed: 219.2FPS
                16MB Texture Rendering Speed:165.4FPS
                32MB Texture Rendering Speed: 86.6FPS
                Bump Mapping Emboss, 3-pass: 123.1FPS
                Bump Mapping Emboss, 2-pass: 160.7FPS
                Bump Mapping Emboss, 1-pass: 288.9FPS

3D MARK 2000 test results :-
                standard default test
                1024x768x16bit
                cpu mark 213
                3D mark 2968

So all in all I think its just luck with components,so if your into the o\c game then you'll just have to except what you can get:P
                Laterz Matt {:O)

Comment

Thanks for the various responses, guys.

The problem was the AGP divider, which was set to 1/1 instead of 2/3. Hence why it didn’t work with the AGP card but it did with the PCI. Thanks to Neil for that one (Joel was in the right place, too).

GP

Comment

Because it's not changing the PCI. It'll stay put (roughly speaking) whereas 2:3/1:1 AGP changes it in relation to the FSB speed.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yep, understood Greebe. My last was a statement rather than a question but thanks anyway.

GP

Comment

Working...
                      X