Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wtf??? Can't Change display properties????? HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wtf??? Can't Change display properties????? HELP!!!!

Alrighty ppl, maybe someone can help me with my current situation.

I have a custom built pii 400 160mb pc-100 that came with win 95 osr2. Over the summer i got a g400 max. I got the latest drivers of powerdesk, and was pretty pissed that i couldn't run turbo gl till i got win98. So i got win98 se, installed it and was so happy that i finally got win 98. Then i attempted to change my display properties so i could start using my dual head. ERROR OCCURED IN control panel file desk.cpl!!!! I can't access my display control panel. I can't change my rez which is at 1024x768 16-bit, which is fine for the most part, but i can't get anything in 32 bit. Now what the @#$% should i do? is this a problem with win 98 or with the g400. do i have to reinstall everything and reformat? or has anyone else managed to come across this problem? is there a way to get a copy of this desk.cpl? i had been using a v2 before but i uninstalled that completely, and everything was fine, till i got win98... so turbo gl is of no use to me... @#$%!!!!!!!!! well if anyone has any ideas plz share!!! Thanks... or else... format c: weeeeeee!!!!!!

------------------
    "negative ghostrider, the pattern is full"

If you've tried re-installing the Powerdesk drivers allready, then re-install windows. Without the format!! Good Luck

------------------
    Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

mate sorry to hear about this desktop cpl error i have had that problem in the past and the only way i could fix it was a format
      sorry but i know and i feel for u
      i have looked in lots of places for a fix
      i can tell u that reinstalling your drivers won,t work reinstalling windows 98 wont work
      i don,t know about 98 se i don,t have it but i think it will be the same
      i even got said file desktop cpl from another
      computer and that wont work if u delete the file the error goes away but u can,t change the desktop the only difference i see is u have a desktop at 1024 x768 and when this happened to me i was at 800x640 x 16 colours
      hey i hope somone else can be more helpful if u do find a fix please post it all i might need it in the future also this problem that i had was not with my max it was with a shity tnt2 card the puter shop loaned me will i was waiting for my max
      i hope u get it going so u can enjoy your max to the full good luck
      cya seven

------------------
      hell yeah i love this g 400 max
      hell yeah i love this g 400 max

Comment

http://www.billsworkshop.com/techtips/cleaninstall.html

a clean install of all hard ware with out reformating and loseing program refrences. it works i use it when ever i do a hardware upgrade (like mobo, or if to insure i get rig of all old drivers when i upgrade)
        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

hey man thanks a whole lot... now only if this works out just the way i want it to... wish me luck!!! Otherwise i'm gonna love learning how to do my first reformat... joy!!!

peace,

tb

------------------

Comment

It's a right of passage.

I've installed Window 98 over a couple of 95-based systems and, of course, I've reformatted and did a fresh install of Windows 98 on my home machines quite a few times. I prefer the latter. Out with the old, in with the new.

If your using the upgrade version of Windows 98, and you decide to start from scratch, make sure you have a copy of Windows 95 handy. You probably want to make a start-up disk in Windows 98 beforehand as well.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 18 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 18 December 1999).]

Comment

Working...
            X