Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight problem with DVD playback ??

Hi

I have been seing a flicker at the top of the picture,It does not happen all the time but it appears to happen when the scene changes.

Overall the dvd playback is very good but I would like to get rid of this anoying occourance..

Im also thinking of running dvd to my T.V down stairs.its a sony 25" with dolby pro logic surround sound has anyone got any ideas on the best way to do it??

I think to be realistic Im gonna need a cable at least 30 foot long,I have heard that you need to get very good quality cables to get the best picture quality :]

BTW where do you get the best quality cables "im sure matrox dont sell them 30 feet long"

all and any info on the topic would be gratefully recieved regards Matt {:O)

Hi mathew your problem can be solved by doing ?????

Please somebody help me before I start talkin to myself on a regular basis {:O)

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited 28 November 1999).]

Comment

See http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005480.html for info on cables.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Does anyone experiance the flicker at the top of the dvd image its really anoying me now and I dont seem to be getting a great response to my dilemma.......PLEASE HELP ME

regards matt {:O)

Comment

ummmmmm
          i get it on the special stuff during ghostbusters....
          but i think its a fault of the old film
          what dvd's are you experienceing it on and what dvd player?
          Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Hi

I am experiencing it on all the dvd's that I have used "Matrix,Armageddon,Blade" I have a pioneer 10X dvd rom drive and appart from the slight flicker the picture quality is awsome:P

Do you think it could be a program causing this in the background , I have turned off cpuidle and that,s not the problem I wonder if it could be Mother board monitor I will try turning that off as well.

I cant see that this is the problem though,It didn't do this when I had power dvd running "before the Max was installed"

What do you think ?

Regards matt {:O)

Comment

Go to: control panel/system/device manager/cd-rom and click for the properties of your DVD. There check the DMA transfer. I have a Hitachi GD-2500 5x DVD and I was experiencing the same problem. Hope this helps.

------------------

Comment

I'm using a Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD drive with the Matrox DVD player and I do not see any flicker at the top of my screens.

Joel

------------------
                System Specs

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I'm using a 5m extension cable from my max to the tele and as far as i am concerned the picture is spot on. It's only a cheap phono extension cable that i bought from tandy about ten years ago. My total length of cable is about 18 feet and i have seen no problems. I have never used a shorter cable but if your happy then why worry?

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                  Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                  Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Yes I have checked my dma setting in device manager any other thoughts . Im gonna have to contact matrox tech support otherwise!!

Are there any tech support people still using this forum if so please help {:O)

Comment

I have had this flicker problem with my MAX ever since I owned it. I received a second MAX from Matrox and it had the same problem. The problem dissapears when a TV is connected to DVDmax. If the TV is removed, the flicker returns. It happens in both of my computers (ABIT BX6-2 and Dell XPS-R450) with my MAX installed. No flicker with a G200 with DVD daughtercard in either computer.

Matrox has duplicated this problem in its lab. I haven't heard of a fix from them yet.

Since I normally watch DVDs on my monitor, I bought a Creative Labs Dxr3 decoder card and we have lived happily ever after.

If anyone has solved this problem, let me know.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 27 November 1999).]

Comment

Hi Brian

I have decided to change my dvd software to winDVD and I must say that the overall picture quality and sound is far better :]

This combo [g400 + winDVD] have been awarded best graphics card and software player by some dvd sites " there was a post in this forum " and to be honest with you I have to agree.
                        I no longer get the flicker but I do wish that matrox would vet the software better.you would think that they would have tested the software dvd players after all there are only a few that are any good anyway..

So thanks for your input on this topic and if I here any other solutions I will post right here Thanks Matt{:O)

Comment

I never noticed the flicker problem with either of my G400's, but I have tried WinDVD 2000. I found things to be a bit smoother than the Cinemaster software that shipped with the board.

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Since we're talking DVD problems has anyone had this one? On my monitor the picture is absolutely flawless but when I output to my TV, scenes that are especially dark with subtle lighting don't look correct. There are some scenes in Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven with dark lighting by a campside fire and they look awful. Has anyone had similar problems? I tried adjusting the gamma but no luck. I'm using WinDVD as well. Any ideas?

Comment

I have the exact same problem. Any dark scene, and the background and sometimes even the foreground looks terrible. Very grainy. It's been driving me nuts for weeks now. Is this normal due to the limitations of software decoding or the TVout of the card, or is something set incorrectly in my system?

I've tried a whole bunch of cinemaster engine versions along with the gateway player as well as the Win98 player. I've used just about all combinations of region selector settings as well as the DVDmax settings.

Any ideas would be _greatly_ appreciated...

thanks!

------------------
                              -JD
                              P3-600
                              G400
                              128MB
                              Intel SE440BX2
                              Win98
                              -JD
                              P3-600
                              G400
                              128MB