AGP apeture size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP apeture size

I hear the new tgl drives need an apeture size of 256mb.
    My mobo is a Legend V with a PII 300 chip in it.
    There is no option in the bios to change AGPx1 to AGPx2 or set an apeture size

1) how do i do it? - or cant it?
    2) My bios allows me to o/c the chip to 333+mhz, but when i do, the startup detects it as a 133 - what does this mean?
    3) Should i get a new mobo!?

Cheers,
    Patrick

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

sorry, cant spell
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Hi friend
      Try to download the latest bios version for your board and install it..
      Anyway, i dont know if is going to work...
      I think your AGP slot only suports x1.
      actualy a board isnt very spencive
      Sorry my english im Europien...

mail me if you cant have no answer for your problem, if you can mail me of course..
      Good luck !
      Max

Comment

yep,
        try to flash BIOS to newest revision, but if it works with your current setup, then no neeed to change these...

Comment

I think these are the specs on your board:
          http://www.qdius.com/products/440lx5.htm

Before you download and try to flash your BIOS, I would strenuously recommend the following:

Check to see if you already have the latest BIOS. Your board is getting old, and the manufacturer might not be issuing upgrades as often as they did.

If you bought your computer from a big company like Gateway, call them and find out if your motherboard is proprietary. They might have their own BIOS upgrade.

You might want to consider upgrading. The LX chipset is aging rapidly. Just make sure to check on case compatibility issues like form factor and cabling requirements before buying a new board.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I've left the aperture at 64 on my system with no ill effects. Wonder if its really necessary?

------------------
            Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

cool, someone who has the same crappy mb as me!

you should be able to change the agp apeture size from the 'chipset features' menu in the cmos setup utility. i know that field was there even before i updated the mb bios to 2.0sl (latest).

as far as o/c on this board you have to do it by way of bus speed. default is 66mhz, but i have mine up at 75mhz and haven't had a problem with that sinced i bumped it up about 9 months ago. but i do leave the cover off my box.

yes you prolly should get a new mb, like i should but til then i hope this helps.

8¬)

ps- the board i have will not accept 2x agp transfers. there is no mb setting for it, and when i use a win9x regestry hack, my bootup freezes when i force 2x. i've heard it might have to do with agp slot volts being as low as 2.8 when it should be 3.3 by the proper agp spec. good luck.

------------------
              p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.3 | win 98se
              p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Comment

I have flashed it recently - about 2mths ago
                When i did this the bios claims the mobo can take a PII500, although when i change the bus speed to o/c it, it registers the CPU as being 233mhz.

1) Do i have a crappy CPU that is just conforming to specs?
                2) I take it that this is the only way to o/c my ageing chip?
                3) Is there any other way to comfirm that it is o/ced?

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by Cheggers (edited 15 December 1999).]

Comment

hey Cheggers... can you read the S spec from your PII300 (it's looking something like SL2SY, SL2W8, SL36C etc...) or could you just copy all those numbers from the top of the processor. There is a possibility you have a pretty good processor capable of at least 450 Mhz in a good BX mobo. If that don't work then you don't have to buy a new mobo... Your mobo can cope with 500 Mhz celeron on a socket-slot adapter, what is quite a boost in processor power for a small amount of money.
                  And AGP 1X against 2X has already seen a lot of arguing in this forum mostly resulting in 1x equals 2x ...
                  So post those numbers...

------------------
                  Just my humble opinion...

Specs--=>

PII 300@450 Mhz SL2W8
                  ABIT BH6 rev1.63
                  64 Mb PC133 SDRAM
                  Matrox Millenium G200 8Mb
                  HDD 4,3 Gb WDCaviar U/ATA66
                  HDD 1,6 Gb WDCaviar U/DMA33
                  Yamaha Waveforce 192XG
                  TEAC 32X ATAPI CDROM
                  MITSUMI 4X ATAPI CDROM
                  17" Macom S82
                  Realtek 8029 10 Mbps Lan PCI
                  HP Laserjet 5L
                  Scanner

Second machine:

Pentium III 450@570
                  ABIT BH6 rev1.61
                  128 Mb PC133 SDRAM
                  Matrox Millenium G400 w. 16Mb SH
                  HDD 8,4 Gb WD Caviar UATA66
                  Yamaha Waveforce 192XG
                  Toshiba 6X ATAPI DVD-ROM
                  17" Belinea monitor
                  SMC Tigercard 10Mbps network card ISA

Comment

The numbers are on the chip?
                    ok, i will post when I get home after my lecture will be about 2

cheers,

Comment

PII 300@450 Mhz SL2W8
                      ABIT BH6 rev1.63
                      ---------

How much was your mobo?
                      do you notice much difference w/ 450 cf 300?

Cheers,

Comment

I've looked around, and can't find the answer, so can someone tell me what is the aperture size, and why should it be changed? My BIOS will let me change it, but why should I? The default is 64MB, and I have 256MB ram on an Asus 2b mobo. Does this setting use some of your ram or what? Wonder if this is the reason I am having strange behavior in Win2K..thanks for any help.

Len

Comment

Right, here you go!

On the top of the CPU:
                          80522PX300512EC SL28R
                          R7420318-481 Philippines

Under the CPU next to the pins:
                          667093-003 MD3

There are also four circles with arrows stamped in them pointing to letters:
                          Y 97 4 2

I hope that helps!

I am running the 2.03SL Bios which i think is the latest.

The only o/c config that i can get to work is:
                          83mhz x 8 =333mhz???
                          needless to say i have reverted back to 300mhz.

help.....

oh btw, i found the apeture setting, DOH! ;D

Comment

Hi Cheggers...

well I'm from Europe(Croatia) and I bought the mobo here for local currency but if I change that to $ it would cost about a 100-120$ depending where you buy it...

But note that overclocking the PII 300 to 450 and above requires a processor from a limited series with Deschutes core in 0.25 micron and running on 2.0V against the normal PII300 with Klamath core in 0.35 micron technology running on 2.8V. Also the cache chips are very important because they can vary from 5.5ns to 4.4ns thus limiting your highest speed to a 375 for the slowest cache or whopping 500 if you have the fastest 4.4ns cache chips...
                            The gain when o/c 300 to 450 is huge! Mainly because you are running your FSB at 100 Mhz (communication with memory). Although 100 Mhz FSB speed requires PC100 SDRAM it is quite possible to achieve 100 Mhz with a PC66 SDRAM stick(s).

Hmmm... I think this strayed off-topic. Sorry Cheg, my man... If you want to know more about how you can overclock your processor drop me a mail ...

Comment

Sorry Cheggers but it looks like you can't overclock your PII300 much because it's from one of the oldest batches with Klamath core... Of course I could be mistaken, so i'll recheck and send everything via e-mail...

Cheers Cheg

Comment

Working...
                              X