Software mpeg-2 capture on Marvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software mpeg-2 capture on Marvel?

Is it possible to capture full rez, real-time mpeg-2, on the marvel/RRG?

ATI's AIW does it on a PIII, in software, so it't must be possible on the marvel as well?

THEORY ONLY:

IF you set up the Marvel's registry entries for a YUY2 output then some PD or shareware capture programs that are codec enabled might be able to pull it off....

BUT: then you would need a software MPEG-2 codec. There aren't any out there yet that a capture program could use. They are only available at this point as freestanding programs and video editor specific plugins.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

ATI offers I frame mpeg2, which is not the same as in DVD. It is much like MJPEG, but not editable.

With YUY2 format, you can use many codecs, and they will also work better and faster than with RGB, because most codecs compress YUY2 (4:2:2 YUV format) data. Examples are Mjpeg codecs, mpeg4 from MS, indeo, ...

You save CPU time and quality by eliminating YUY2-RGB-YUY2 conversion.

Grigory

Comment

I have a g400 and a g200. MGI VideowaveIII has settings for automatically capturing direct to mpeg 1 from the g400 after it is installed. and can be custom setup to capture to mpeg II. When installed with a g200 it only has avi mjpeg options. it uses a codec supply by LSI---same codec but with more options than the one included with g400---and it does realtime captures and not just conversions.

Comment

To be precise:
          What mpeg formats are working for realtime captures and on what CPU?

Quality, datarate, support for interlaced full screen encoding?

Please tell me the GOP structure. I know Ligos has Go motion codec with realtime performance, but do not know details.

Comment

Working...
          X