G400 Max Fan Dead Already??? or..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max Fan Dead Already??? or..

I just put this card in and the fan is not operating at all. Now, is the fan supposed to be operating constantly or is triggered by some other mechanism. Help...

Hi shallowgrave...

I was wondering... did you insert your card properly?
    There have been several threads concerning dead fans that misteriously started working again when people took their cards and reinserted it in the slot. The catch is that the first connector on the card is (supposedly) used for the fan, so if the card is hanging to the front of the case (some ABIT mobos and also some cases) this thing happens...
    If card is seated O.K. ten it could be possible that your fan has gone to the grand land of all fans in the sky

Comment

Thanks for the quck reply.

Ok, I Reseated the G400 couples times and it's still a no go. FYI, I'm inserting the card into an ASUS P3B-F motherboard. How bizzare! I can't belive the fan died without even giving a single spin. Urghh. The board has barely beed used 4 hours!!! LOL... I'll try another reseating effort in the morning. I guess now the procedure would be to notify Matrox? If a new fan is the solution, anyone know how long for a replacement?

Comment

I think Greebe changed the fan on his MAX but I could be mistaken... As I said, look at message threads from a few days ago, there were several people with exaactly your problem...

(edit) OK... here is the URL:
        http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006644.html

[This message has been edited by Goc (edited 15 December 1999).]

Comment

People should not have to be changing the fans on their 4 day old cards.

Comment

I agree. If the fan is broken, you should get a new board, or at the very least, a new fan from Matrox.

I've had problems seating a G400 in an Asus P2B-F, so the seating issue isn't limited to Abit motherboards. If you have the opportunity, you might want to try the board out in another system.

Fans break, however.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks for the direct link to the thread. I neglected to see it..sorry.

Anyway, I still couldn't get the fan to operate so I arranged a return/exchange with Matrox. I guess I could just replace the fan, but am going to go the warranty route for now. I hope when the new (or shall I say newer?) one arrives the fan will operate. Nevertheless, I'm thinking of having a spare fan to replace the cheapee one onboard...just in case. Suggestions?

BTW, thanks for help

Comment

Well the same thing happen'd to my G400Max but i didn't feel like going 1-2 weeks without my computer so i just got a 486 fan and the holes lined right up. you may have to modify the fan a little to get the screws to fit. But once it on it move alot more air then the dinky little cheap ass fan Matrox is trying is trying to pass off.

Comment

I had the same fan problem on my G200 card.I mounted a 486 fan and it ran 4 days. The problem as I see its, is that the fans are hanging from the card because they are mounted unside down in a tower case. This maybe the same problem with the G400 Max fans. I am going to mount the fan on a test stand in an upright position and check it out. I well keep you posted. I e-mailed Matrox about mounting the fan upside down, with the idea of moving the commector (during the layout of their new cards) to the other edge of the card. This would place the conponemt side up so the fan would be in an upright position. The heat would rise up from the card at the same time. My 2 cents Designer

Comment

Working...
                  X