Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G40Max fan broken?

Greetings.

I just opened my case and noticed that the fan on my G400Max does not run.

Should it run all the time ?
    Or is it temp.controlled ?

Regards,
    Magnus

It should run all the time it is probably broken or if you are lucky it's just stuck try to give it a litle push! If it don't work you should return it (or call) to your lokal computer store! If they cant give you a new card or fan rightaway you can ask them if they can send just the fan to be replaced (you can use an old 486fan in the meanwhile).
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Check if the tiny fan connector still has all it's wires plugged in.
      P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

With a G400 (non-max), what's the recommended way to attach a fan to the heatsink?

Comment

screws

Comment

very detailed answer, rick
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well, I gently touched the fan (in the center) and it started.
              But as soon as I let it go, it stopped again.

I pulled the card out, inspected the fan, and put it back again.
              The fan has been running for a couple of houes now.

The fan connector seems to be fitted ok.

I noticed that it has 3 wires.
              Is there some utility out there that can check to see if the fan is running?

Maybe I should contac my dealer to see if I can get a new fan.
              (Don't wanna be without my card for a warrant return...)

/M

Comment

You can ask Matrox tech support for a fan, but I can't say for sure they would send you one. Depends on your ability too.

Not a hard job but it does require some force to twist it off chip and then you have to clean the goo off. Worst they could say is no.
                MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                Matrox P
                X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                LianLiPC70

Comment

hehe :P

Comment

Well they could probably just send you the fan without the heatsink. You can unscrew the old fan and put in a new one.

Comment

Hey, waht do you mean SCompRacer?
                      My G400MAX har the fan screwed on to the heatsink, and there was no goo between the heatsink and the chip? (well there are now..
                      --
                      System:
                      P3-450@600, G400MAX, 35 Gigs of drives, 256 RAM, SBLive!

Comment

If the fan has stalled once, it will probably give a probablem at least every time you start up, so keep a close eye on it. I guess you could always 'underclock' to vanilla speeds until it is fixed.

BTW, I'm looking for a max heatsink/fan to add to my o/c'd vanilla. Anyone know where/how I might get hold of one (apart from magnus')?

Cheers, Tony.
                        FT.

Comment

Shazbot, what I mean is the heatsink, which the fan is attached to, has a pad that melts onto the G400 MAX chip as it gets hot. So if a person replaced the entire assembly, they will be cleaning whats left of the pad, which is like sticky putty on a piece of gauze atop the chip.

Maybe your heat sink got shorted or you did not run the card long enough for this to take place.

Call it thermo-paste in a solid form,
                          untill it gets warm. </a>

Some folks stripped their heat sinks off and used a better quality thermo-paste for superior heat transfer with severe duty O/C efforts.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 13 December 1999).]
                          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                          Matrox P
                          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                          LianLiPC70

Comment

Sounds like it was an incorrectly seated board.
                            I gently touched the fan (in the center) and it started.
                            I pulled the card out, inspected the fan, and put it back again.
                            The fan has been running for a couple of houes now.
                            Wasn't it determined that the leading pin on this board deals with the fan? (Veterans of this forum remember the war between Canada and Ireland).

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 14 December 1999).]
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Scomp, It's made of thermal wax. The other stuff your refering to is silicone/zinc based HS compound (also refered to as Goose Grease or Owl shit). If it is indeed defective then Matrox will replace it. They did mine when the motor burned up and the impeller fell out. Excellent service I'll add too!
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X