irq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irq

My bios does not assign an irq to my g400 Max. I see no options in bios for doing this.
    During bootup I see "Display controller irq NA"
    Win 98 gives it irq 4, but win2k seems to not giving it any irq. So busmastering does not work in w2k.(when I try to enable it, restarting fails and I have to go back to last known good configuration)

The motherboard is an Asus P2b v1.0, with bios 1005.
    Does anybody know if an bios upgrade to 1011 will give me option to assign an irq to AGP slot in bios? I couldn't find any info about this at ASUS web-site.

My floppy-drive is dead.
    Is bios upgrade possible without floppy,
    e.g. with bootable ATAPI Zip-drive?

--
    Bandy
    AbitBE6-II 128M RAM
    Coppermine 600@720
    G400 MAX
    SB Live Value
    Hitachi 21" @ 1700x1275 125kHZ,95Hz

Yes, the P2B definitely has an option to assign an IRQ in the version my wife has (1011). You can upgrade easily. Just download the new bios and the flasher from ASUS' site, and unpack them to a directory on your hard drive (like c:\bios).

Then, boot to safe mode command prompt only (if you don't know how to do this you should learn, it's a bit different for each OS).

Go to the c:\bios directory, and run the flasher.

Et Voila!

Just make sure you have enabled BIOS updates... I forget whether ASUS put that on a jumper or in the BIOS.

- Ash

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

In BIOS Features Setup you have to set BIOS Update to Enabled, then save the BIOS and reboot.

Make sure that when you reboot that the bios file itself and the AFlash file have been unzipped to a directory on the C:-drive, as a good example Ash gave, C:\BIOS

Write down what the filename for the new BIOS file is. It should be called something like bx2i1011.awd

Upon rebooting the PC press F8 when you're using Win9x. You should come into a menu, and there you have to choose Go to DOS in safe mode. It should NOT load anything, just go to the C:\ prompt.

Type cd\bios and press enter.
      Type aflash and press enter.

Do follow the instructions from the P2B manual from there on. Do save the current bios to a file !! (Make it something like Bios1005.obf (old bios file))

Good luck

Jorden.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Jorden,

the option "BIOS Update" MUST be ALWAYS enabled!
        It enables the BIOS to upload microcode updates into the CPU at post, which is very desirable in some cases ;-)
        This way Intel, AMD and Co. (who is Co, anyway? have a last minute chance to upload bugfixes into the partially reprogrammable CPU.
        The BIOS-flag itself has no influence on the updateability of Mobo- or GA-BIOS.

fun,
        Hellmut

Comment

Definitely </a> update the BIOS, but even 1005 allowed for manually assigning IRQ's.

If you have your MB manual </a>, </a> ASUS does a great job of explaining BIOS settings. If no manual, </a> DL from ASUS site. </a>http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherboard/manual _slot1.html You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader for that.

As far as A drive goes, make sure power is connected and floppy cable is plugged on correctly. Next go into BIOS, Standard CMOS Setup, make sure Drive A says 1.44M, 3.5 in. Unless you got a Japenese 1.2 floppy drive, </a> Floppy 3 Mode Support should be Disabled.

Still in BIOS, but next page, BIOS Features Setup, Boot Sequence should be A, C. If A is not listed in beginning of Boot Sequence or before C, it won't look there first </a>

Still in BIOS, PNP And PCI Setup, PNP OS System, No. Below that is Slot 1 IRQ through Slot 4 IRQ. Force the IRQ of your choice here instead of Auto. I have not had a P2B in a long time, </a> so I don't remember if the slots were numbered like the P2B-LS, in which PCI Slot 1 started at the ISA Slot and PCI slot 4 is below the AGP slot. The other MURCer's with P2B's can help you here. </a> Get this figured out and your set. </a>

Also keep in mind that one PCI Slot shares IRQ with AGP slot and another PCI Slot shares with USB. </a> With a P2B-LS, PCI slot 1 shares with AGP and PCI Slot 4 shares with USB. If you are not using USB, that can be disabled in BIOS, PNP And PCI Setup, USB IRQ. And if you need another IRQ and are not using both your serial (com) ports, in BIOS, Chipset Features Setup, Onboard Serial Port 1, Disable. Many computers are configured this way. </a>

As far as Win 2000 goes, it is pretty stingy with IRQ's. </a> It assigned my G400, LAN chipset, SCSI chipset, SB Live and USB the same IRQ despite others being free. </a> And it works, though I don't like it like that. Looks like I will be doing some forcing myself. </a>

Good luck and keep us posted! </a>

</a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a>
          </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a> </a>

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 14 December 1999).]
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Thank you for all replies!
            Now I get it.
            I'll just have to assign an irq to pci-slot 1. (Did not see this in the manual..)
            No bios update needed .
            Irq 9,10,11 or 12 are the best, right?
            --
            Bandy
            AbitBE6-II 128M RAM
            Coppermine 600@720
            G400 MAX
            SB Live Value
            Hitachi 21" @ 1700x1275 125kHZ,95Hz

Comment

Hi Bandy, 9, 10 or 11 but not 12 unless you have a serial mouse. Keep your manual handy, lots of info in there that can be intimidating at first but constant referral will allow them to make sense eventually.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties, click on Device Manager Tab and double click on My Computer Icon at very top of list. Then you will see all assigned IRQ's. You will see IRQ 12 assigned to your PS/2 mouse.

Thats why you kill a serial port if you not using both of them. Otherwise each port will get an IRQ and if you have an internal modem, it gets an IRQ now you've used 3 instead of 2 IRQ's.

You might still consider a BIOS update to have the latest available. Get familiar with the process and when you feel comfortable with it do it.
              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
              Matrox P
              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
              X