Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't get it.... Should I get the TurboGL drivers? Even though I have a P3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get it.... Should I get the TurboGL drivers? Even though I have a P3?

What's the deal... is that new TurboGL driver ONLY for the Celerons, P2's and AMD's?
    Or will it help my P3 out? I have all the requirements for the new driver, but I want to know if it does my system any good...
    McRhea

I asked the basically the same question awhile back, and got some pretty decent answers.

It seems that on top of adding support for the older Intel and AMD CPU's, they have tweaked the performance for the PIII and K7 CPUs a bit. On top of that, there are some reported bug fixes regarding Quake2 and Quake3Arena (there are probably more, but that's all that has been reported).

I sounds like the new TurboGL drivers are pretty decent, so I'd probably suggest that you download them and try them out. You can always stick the old one back in if you have problems with this release!

Larry

Comment

Don't forget support for 4 extra games, across all supported platforms.

Tony.
      FT.

Comment

Cool... I got the file... and i'm going to install it and see what happens.
        Just incase, where do I get the old TGL files again? I forgot.
        McRhea

Comment

Visit Murc
          http://www.murc.ws

There are direct links for all drivers.

------------------
          Cya,
          J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
          AMD Athlon 600mhz, 256MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
          Running Windows 98SE & Redhat Linux 6.1

Cya,
          J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
          AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
          Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7

Comment

Hey MoleDK... In your system specs, it says you have a Millennium G200... is that right? Look at your system... you can afford all that and not the G400??? Am i missing something? I'm SURE you meant the G400, right? Just curious...
            McRhea

Comment

Hey, what's wrong with a G200? !)

I tell you what, I'm holding onto my G200 that I pulled out to put in the g400. After all, for desktop work, you probably won't notice too much difference between the 200 and 400. So, when the kids get older, and I need a couple of computers for their school work, I plan on having my assorted matrox cards put back in action. Frankly, I think I'm a pretty generous dad.
              System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Or put it in the server one plans for his/her little 3 PC-network (Like I do.)

Jorden.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

I like the sounds of that.

A dual athlon server with a g200 for the interface. Hell, even with the beta ICD I could probably actually pull over 30 FPS in q3! hmm...

Off the topic: has anyone announced plans for multi-processor athlon boards. Asus has been quite mum about their athlon plans going forward...
                  System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

I had the same plans for my g200, to put it into my server. Except my server is a dual ppro200 and the mobo has no agp. You know how hard it is to find a cheap pci video card new. 4 stores later I finally scored a $25.00 diamond something.
                    Asus K7V
                    Athlon 700
                    128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                    Matrox Millennium g400max
                    Adaptec 2940U2W
                    IBM 9gb U2W
                    Plextor 8/20 cdr
                    Diamond MX300
                    3com 905b-tx

Comment

Well, running off-topic on whatever videocard you want in your server: It doesn't matter, even a 1Mb non-accelerated videocard/-chip is enough.

The server doesn't even need a monitor once it's set up&runs stable. You don't need to play games on the server, it's just there to connect the other PCs and maybe give access to the internet through a shared modem.

Yes, I know you can play games on the server, but what for if you've got the other PCs in the network for that??

Jorden.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

McRhea: I cannot afford a G400. It alot more expensive here in Denmark than from the Online Matrox store. Besides I am waiting for a newer card to hit the streets. The G400 is neat, but the G200 is still doing it's job

The Athlon system is financed through tax and it came preinstalled with TNT2U (Creative) which I of course pulled out.

------------------
                        Cya,
                        J.

System specs:
                        AMD Athlon 600mhz, 256MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
                        Running Windows 98SE & Redhat Linux 6.1

Cya,
                        J.

System specs:
                        AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
                        Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7

Comment

Working...
                        X