Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new VIA 4 in 1 drivers (new AGP driver incl)... CAUTION!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new VIA 4 in 1 drivers (new AGP driver incl)... CAUTION!

Be careful about upgrading the IDE drivers - they disabled my second IDE port. Re-installing the new drivers, uninstalling then re-installing the new drivers didn't work. Only re-installing the previous version brought it back to normal.

Bill
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Hmm.. didn't have any problem with the new VIA drivers here. works fine with turbo agp (2x mode) and udma 2 for hard drives on both channels

Comment

Hey:
      Are you guys using the via ide drivers with win98?
      I tried an earlier version of those drivers and they really slowed speed of my drives connected to a promise ultra66 card. went back to the windows drivers. Does anybody have promise card and using the newer via ide drivers? What are your benchmarks like?
      TIA

Comment

No problems here, check your bios, perhaps the drivers are enabling the second port instead.

Comment

I wasn't inferring that they would work badly on everyone's machine, merely that if you ran into that problem, hopefully this will be useful as a troubleshooting tool.

The BIOS is set up correctly, with an LS-120 as the primary master and an ATAPI CD-ROM as a secondary master. I have no IDE hard drives.

The previous IDE drivers work fine, but the new ones, no matter how many different ways I could think of installing it, caused the secondary channel to become disabled with the exclamation point. (It wasn't even conflicting with anything.)

Weird, huh?

Bill

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X