G400MAX lockups with drivers above 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400MAX lockups with drivers above 5.20

I'm experiencing more or less random lockups after installing a new PIII@500 Mhz
    and windows 98SE. The problem is related to som interaction between mouse and
    the G400. After doing a lot of regression-testing and driver combinations, here
    is what I have found:

1. I have found a way to reliably crash the system. I bring up the MouseWare
    properties-window, and change between the tabs a few times using the mouse. This
    will produce a system-lockup (freeze) with any g400 that isn't working.

I have tried all the different versions og mouseware I could get hold of, but all of
    them crashed. I'm pretty sure the problem is not related to mouseware alone, since
    the computer locks up anyway after a while, usually while performing some kind
    of window operation. Using mouseware just makes the lockups more reliable
    ( if you can put it that way )

2. PD 5.20 is the driver with the highest version number that works flawlessly.
    This is true with bus mastering on and off. This driver seems very stable and I
    have used it for several days without a crash,

3. PD 5.30 & 5.41 both produces lockups. Unfortunately they include TurboGL ;-(

4. If I disable bus mastering in 5.30 it doesn't produce lockups in mouseware.

Now you would think that everything is fine, but the problem is that I like a
    game of Q3 after work. Since faster is always better, I would like the added
    boost of the TurboGL driver. Unfortunately I can't start Q3 when I disable
    bus mastering. This is true with or without the TurboGL driver.
    After starting the game, it drops out before the ID-logo is shown, and back to
    an 800x600 desktop with very few colors ;-)

I've read a lot of postings in these forums, and have tried many combinations
    of driver/bios, but to no avail. If anyone have experienced similar problems
    I would like to hear from you.

I hope others using MouseWare will find it usefull to use it as a reliable way
    of producing a lock-up.

sincerely,

-Toem

IRQ
    ---
    No IRQ's are shared.

Hardware
    --------
    PIII@500
    Asus P2B-S with 1011 bios
    SoundBlaster64 (ISA)
    Tulip 21164 network card
    G400 Max 1.5-22 BIOS
    Logitech Mouseman+
    Win98SE
    IBM 9.1G, 7200rpm LVD drive

IRQ
    ---
    No IRQ's are shared.

what none at all?

i'd turn the mouse software off and install the stand alone turbo gl. Mouse software always seems to be problematic.

------------------
    p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 14gb ibm 7200rpm, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
    Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
    Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Turning off MouseWare doesn't solve the problem. The computer still locks up, It's just more difficult to reproduce reliably.

With regards to TurboGL, as far as I know, you need at least PD 5.25 for it to work.

PD 5.25 doesn't work for me, with or without mousesoftware. I've even tried different mice - no diference.

sincerely,

-Toem

Comment

Try forceing AGP 1X, seems like matrox made it automatically set to AGP 2X in the drivers you said were giveing you problems. It worked for me

Comment

I've tried the registry-hacks as well. The different AGP-settings made no difference.

sincerely.

-Toem

Comment

toem:
            I have the same problem.
            When I disable the mouseware (the em-exec file) then I don't get any lochups anymore with normal window interaction (for now).
            I'll try the properties window trick when i'm offline.

Comment

toem: I can't reproduce the "properties window trick". Maybe the reason for that is that I use WinNT?

What ISDN adapter do you use (or modem)?
              I have the lockups when I'm online for a while.

system specs:
              Abit BP6 (latest BIOS, LN I believe)
              2 Celerons @550
              Dynalink ISDN
              Matrox g400 dual 16 MB (BIOS 1.3.20 Drivers:4.34.015 (WinNT))
              Logitech mouseman wheel
              Soundblaster PCI 64
              Quantum Fireball CX 10.1 Gig.
              WinNT4 SP6

Comment

I also get lock ups when minimizing many windows quickly. I have Microsoft's Intellimouse PRO though and it doesn't always happen...

I have an ISDN NT by intracom (Intracom's netmod. Intracom is a greek manufacturer).

I will do nth to solve the probs though..

I'll wait until win2k are out, buy 'em, low lever format the HD, fdisk again, normal format the drive and try again...

------------------
                PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

That is the big problem, it does not happen always and it is not predictable.
                  Sometimes it happens a lot and fast (after a reboot), another times just after a few hours.

Any solutions?

Comment

I had the same problem. Random lockups that disappeared when i disabled busmastering. I bought a new powersupply, (one of those AMD recommended for their Athlon processor) because the existing one was too weak for the Rainbow Runner G(my Tv-tunner didn't work), and afterwards these lockups disappered. So try a AMD recommended powersupply and see if it solves the problem. I know it sounds silly but it worked for me(and I doesn't have a athlon based system, just plain dual celeron.)

Comment

Working...
                    X