Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was just getting ready to order a MAX and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just getting ready to order a MAX and...

...I realized that I might be too late? Should I wait for the next generation Matrox card? I already know that you can't keep waiting for the next "best thing" to come out or you'll never upgrade, but it has been quite a while since it's release. I will say that my G200 works absolutely wonderful and there are only minor slow doens in some newer games. Definitely Q3A and UT are slow but I don't play those games anyway(I had to downlaod the demos and atleat peek at them ). I know it's just about time for me to upgrade but I was thinking maybe to wait until summer? What do all of you think?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

you will be unbelievably happy with the max and Matrox is doing deals for them right now!
    EMBM looks great, the new 5.41 drivers have fixed many probs
    jim

------------------
    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100
    Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.41 & bios 1.5-22
    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
    3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
    Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
    Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
    Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
    Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
    Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

DuRaNgO, you show me EMBM, and I'll show you T&L
      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

I know they have a special going right now and I know the shipping is free and I know the card kicks ass and I know this is a run on sentence, but my question is:

Is now a good time to buy one or should I wait until the next cycle of Matrox crads since I've already waited this long?

Agent31, I'll see your EMBM and T&L and raise you 1 Gigatexel/s

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Well.. considering how long it takes for Matrox to actually PUT OUT a new generation card so that more than 12 people can buy them..

You probably have a good year before the next-gen Matrox card will come out in substantial quanity..

I'd go for it now since I love my G400 and its the most beast card besides a GeFORCE 256 and totally unparalled in image quiality for its price.

One word of caution, though, once you goto DualHead set up you CAN NOT GO BACK. I go nuts if I only have one screen for desktop stuff..

And, I gotta tell you, Heather Kozar stretched acroos from one monitor to the other is soooooo awesome. <grin>

CB
          Abit BX6 Rev.1
          Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
          192 meg RAM, CAS2
          13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
          6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
          HP8110i 4x2x24
          Pioneer DVD-104
          SB Live! 1024
          USB ZIP 100
          G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
          Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
          YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Dave, I'd go with the GeForce to be honest. I have a G400 in my workstation for the DH, but at home, GeForce, it cost me an arm and a leg, but it was worth it (I still have my mousing hand)
            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Agent31,

There is only one problem with getting a GeForce, I only want a Matrox card Call me crazy but ever since I got my first one(Original Mystique) I've been hooked. So, the question still remains(thanks CrazyBee) shoule I wait or not?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Oh, Dave knows he doesn't want a GeSpot

Dave...If you are still happy with your G200 for a few more months, you never know what the summer might bring...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You can always get a G400 16 megger for the cost of an ugly date and too many beers...

Comment

True.
                    16meg SingleHeads are pretty cheap, and would give a boost over the G200...and get you through to the next card...
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

So you're not willing to sample the fruits of NVidia's innovations?

I can't say I totally understand loyalty to such things, but there are certainly good grounds for sticking with Matrox. You won't get any argument out of me.

Comment

You know Kruzin, with a statement like that, I think I might just have to hold out...I almost think I know what the summer will bring THE MATROX Gee2manynumbers! hehe

LAMFDTK,

First off, what the hell does LAMFDTK stand for? I think I've been coming around here long enough(August 98') and you have alos been coming around here awhile(even with a few bumps in the beginning) to tell us what it stands for. So what does it stand for? Also, your idea about getting a 16 megger might not be such a bad idea! hmmm.....decisions, decisions...

Dave

Comment

nVIDIA G-Spot for the BOGAHICA Users

and from my Unix security dictionary:

BOGAHICA - From the root BOHICA, this is an acronym that is short for: Bend Over, Grab Ankles, Here It Comes Again.

------------------
                          Cya,
                          J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
                          ASUS P2B-LS, P2-266, 128MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.25), Nothing O/C.
                          Running Windows 98SE & Redhat Linux 6.1

Cya,
                          J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
                          AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
                          Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7

Comment

Yeah I'm in the same boat as Helevitia. I'd like a new card but I only upgrade when I see at least a x2 speed improvement in peripherals. And since I'm happy (for now) with my PII400 and don't run OpenGL, Q3, or UT...

The annoying thing about Matrox cards is that they hold their value - fine if you're going to sell them on but a bummer if you are looking for a cheap upgrade. My G200 has dropped by about £20. Despite the Xmas sale the Matrox Store isn't that competitive with other mail order/Online stores (why not???).

I think I'll wait till I get that Athlon on a new generation Mobo (Asus K7V out sometime soon) and then think about what card to get (esp if they plan (?) to release/support fully AGP x4 G400 cards).

Cheers

Comment

Agent31,

the G400 is my first Matrox card. The Voodoo2 was the first and the only before that. The simple fact why I wouldn't upgrade to the GeForce is that my G400 is fast and it has features that are more important for me at this moment than T&L.

The simple fact remains, that currently you can better upgrade to a PIII 450, than buy a GeForce. I agree with 3dfx that T&L will take probably more than a year to get fully accepted and give you more speed than a faster processor.

And the image quality of the G400 is way better than a TNT2 (haven't seen the GeForce yet). A TNT2 owner even commented about the excelent 32 bit quality in comparison with his TNT2. And my G400 crushed his 32 bit scores, while my PC was lower clocked. And it runs Unreal Tournament fast enough. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X