Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400Max+Athlon system..weird but rockin"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max+Athlon system..weird but rockin"!

Finally got all the parts to put the system together. I read and printed out posts both here and at AMDZone to make the system changeover as hopefully painless as possible.
    Clean install of 98se and 5.30 drivers are all I'm running. Of course, my IRQ's didn't want to cooperate (Zoom 56K PCI modem was quite sure it wanted the same IRQ as the MAX), but I beat them into shape, using advice dispensed by Jorden, et al. Got the MAX on IRQ 10, shared with PCI steering and USB...very fast and stable on Q2, the only game I have, and the techdemo as well. With advice from IceStorm, I got the TGL into the Quake folder. I had the Max previously on a K6-III 450@500, and this 500 Athlon dogs it. Put the new Bios 1.5b on the MSI6167, but it sure don't have the same settings as the other Award bios's Jorden talked about. When I get a little farther along, will put the SB live IRQ battle to the test, but right now am just running a ISA AW32(I think!).

This is what I was wanting to see when I got the MAX, I just underestimated the synergy potential of a fast processor and fast card, and the Athlon isn't yet overclocked, and I'm still running the 5.30 drivers. Can anyone tell me a compelling reason to use the 5.41?? All in all, even with the IRQ sharing, I haven't had a single crash, so I
    guess thats good, plus I can reboot in a little over 20 seconds, so multiple trips to the Bios is not that bad.

My point is that, even though I'm not all that proficient in operating system stuff, by doing a little homework helped me get this far with very few headaches. My motto is Lurk and Learn! So thanks to all the Posters who put their problems here for me to learn from.Thanks to the MURCers who helped them. If I get to a point where I can't go on, I'll ask a question, and maybe someone can learn from that as well.

Peace, Love, and Matrox!

Don't use 5.41, they are no better... except in UT.
    p3-500, 128mb, g400max, wd hd, promise, 3com

Comment

Also 5.41 fixes the bug where the landscape is all flashing in the helicopter demo in 3DMark 2000. Fixes enough.

Comment

But 5.41 don't work with SystemShock 2, Thief, Thief Gold.

Enough to say they are a "unlucky" release.

Comment

5.41 is very stable and fast in games now!!! but i am having high resolution problem!!! at 1024x768, the images shrink and at higher res, i jump back out to Win98 desktop. This problem was there in the 5.30. I tried to reach the technical pple at Matrox but they havn't given me a good reply!!! Anyone having the same problem???

Comment

Working...
          X