Haig: 3DMark2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig: 3DMark2000

If you ever come visit this site, next to giving Holly a kiss, please ask Jason Della Rocca what it is about the pool in the 3DMark2000 demo !!! Is it EMBM, is it EBM or is it just a pre-calculated "Water effect with realistic physics and refraction effects" ???

Please clear it up for us ???

Jorden.

(Thx Red2 )

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 10 December 1999).]
    Jordâ„¢

It's Jason Della Rocca

Rember "Give blood, play rugby"

Comment

After thinking about it a little, I don't think that pool is EMBM. Not sure what it is, but pretty sure it's not EMBM. I really think the only EMBM in 3DM2K is in the bumpmapping benchmarks, and not at all in the demo.

Here's why:
      There is no option to enable/disable EMBM. If a card doesn't support EMBM in the benchmarks, that test won't run. But the demo still runs, no matter what.

Here's why else:
      About 4 days ago, the BBz got some new beta drivers to test. In that one build, EMBM was broken (the benchmark would not run, where it ran on the previous build). Yesterday, we got another build, with EMBM fixed. No matter which drivers I ran, the demo worked fine (and looked the same), even if the EMBM benchmark wouldn't run.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Answer I got through a source.

From Haig: "It's not EMBM. They are actually moving a re-shaping the model."

Maybe Haig wants to explain in more detail??? (Pictures?? )

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 10 December 1999).]
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

A quick question... I'm not too clear on this so someone tell me if I'm right or wrong please. In the water scene when the viewing angle drops to look at the water at almost a parallel angle (SteveC's picture at http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000092.html if you don't understand my poor description) wouldn't the water appear to be flat if EMBM was used? With various "bumps and lighting effects," but "flat" nonethelesss? Sorry if this is completely rediculous, but I had to ask anyway.
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

I work at a computer store and after waching the demo on the asus geforce and a V3000 I tested the demo at home on my G400MAX and i can promise you that the water in the demo is EMBM becouse it looks completly different on the G400 then on the 2 other cards. The same goes to the to game test scenes in the benchmark!

------------------
            PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

guru
              any chance of screenshots????
              im sure we'd all like a looksee :O)
              Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Guru, Just because you've installed said cards doesn't neccessarily make you a guru so how do you expect us to take your word for it? Post up some of the pics for proof, OK

------------------
                Designer of the first Athlon mod. Currently marketing the "Eclipse" through AZZO Computers.
                Anyone up for an Eclipse'd Athlon 850? Email me for more information

2836 mips, 1.107 gflops @ 850 mHz 1:3 latency
                CPUmark99 71.6

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Guys,

the water in the demo is NOT environment mapped bumpmapping (EMBM). The simple fact can be derived very simply:

- If it were bumpmapping, then the water would be flat along the sides of the pool. However you see the waves along the sides. Conclusion: They are all polygons.

- Although it looks great, the reflection of the environment in the water looks blocky. When using EMBM, the reflection is more smooth. Conclusion: Polygons.

- 3DMark has been developed with hardware T&L in mind, so it would be very strange if they didn'y use polygons for the water effect.

Simply believe me, the water consists of many polygons. If you ask me, you could better make water like this:

Use polygons for the global form of the waves, so that you see the waves having substance along side walls, etc. Then use EMBM on those polygons to add the more subtle smoot detail for those waves. It would take less polygons and the combination would make great looking waves possible in games.

Comment

Frank, please post a picture on the blockyness of the water in some thread... ???

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Jorden,

Don't have any pics here at home but it's not EMBM. They are simply taking the wireframe model (usually done in polys) and reshaping it on the fly.

PS: Next visit will be the week of the 20th

Haig

Comment

<a href="http://www.pade.dk/stars/files/screenshots/water_1600x1200.jpg" target="_blank">Roman Bath - GeForce SDR 1600x1200 screenshot</a> (1.19MB)
                        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Is that shot supposed to be screwy like that? The bottom half is all pink. Just wondering if it's my computer (or my eyes ). Or was the picture screwed up in transit. Or is it really like that on a GeSpot?
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I get also a pink color in the bottom of yhe picture and it is me or the texture of the water is weird.Its more rough and less smooth than my g400max???It like it doesn't use at all anti-alias????
                            Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x---&gt;6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

oh well... if my ftp program only want's you to see half of it, then so be it

I deleted the original, so unless everyone want's to be beating my door down for me to try again, I'll leave it how it is...

[This message has been edited by Agent31 (edited 12 December 1999).]
                              Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
                              X