This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the line for Matrox

I am probably not alone in thinking this. I have been a very happy Matrox user for many years. I still use an original Millenium in my NT server, my Millenium II blew up when I had a motherboard problem and I replaced it with a G200. I was also going to buy a G400 MAX, and on this assumption I bought myself a rainbow runner back in June this year.

But Matrox never learned their lessons from the G200. I seem to recall quite vividly placing an order in August last year for my G200 and not receiving it until late November. Matrox only just shipped in time to get a number of sales in before NVidia and 3DFx came out with their next gen products. But 3D was poor(ish) and I still use my Voodoo2 SLI to this day.

But that has never stopped me being anything but happy with the quality of a Matrox product.

So to summer of 99. As a dedicated Matrox customer I placed my order for a Max in June (along with a collegue). But reports of missed shipping dates and expected deliveries not arriving until mid september caused me to cancel my order and see what the rest of the market, including matrox, would do in the time until Matrox could finaly deliver the card.

Well we all know the story by now. Matrox are clearly concentrating on keeping their OEM partners happy with product at the expense of existing loyal customers. They may hide this behind retoric, but the fact remains we are four months beyond the original launch date and only a handful of people actualy have a MAX (including my collegue). I have seen the card and was suitably impressed, as we should all be. Another quality matrox product.

The only trouble is, by the time it will ship to Joe pulic in any numbers it will be a whole generation behind the curve.

Does anyone remember the Videologic cards. They lost out to 3Dfx because they didn't keep up with the market forces.

Reputation is a big thing in the computer industry, and in particular with the buying public who are becoming increasingly more aware of the companies out there and which deliver and which don't.

The bottom line is this. Matrox nearly failed to deliver it's G200, they have failed to deliver the G400, they don't deserve another chance, not unless their next generation product is on the shelves come June 2000 or they will be left for dead.

I am sorry to say, for Matrox at least, I have just ordered a Creative Anihilator Pro, my first ever NON Matrox card. The fact of the matter is that it is the likes of NVidia and Creative that are leading the pack today with product and that's all that realy matters.

By the way, if anyone wants to buy a Rainbow Runner in the Southampton area drop me a line and we'll come to a deal.

Sad, but moving on...
    Dave Stubbs

Yea, yea....another one complaining because they didn't have the foresight to order direct from Matrox, instead of from some reseller who pre-sold the cards for a price they knew they where not going to get.

Anyone who ordered from the right place had their card long, long ago....

Off to the Soap Box forum with this one.....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
    X