Haig, Ant or someone - G200 BIOS info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig, Ant or someone - G200 BIOS info

Has anything more been released on the possiblility of defective BIOS EEPROMS in some 1999 made G200's?

------------------
    Dean
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

.. up ..

------------------
    Dean

Comment

I read that it is a problem (for certain cards with a dodgy chip). There is a "fix" in the latest drivers (or is that the next driver relese?)
      which periodicly reflashs the bios on boot up, to prevent the bios from being lost.
      I read it on some site which I can't remember(german I think).

Comment

Hm... There is a problem and there is a fix for it, so you don't have to worry too much.

Someone from Matrox, please put an official statement here...

Comment

Frankly, I fail to see how a driver update will remedy faulty hardware. Periodically having to reflash the BIOS in order to retain operability is not what I would consider a viable option as it implies that one might lose the BIOS at any time, including possibly in the middle of a computing session.

Haig had said when this potential problem was first mentioned that Matrox would be posting more information but so far I can find nothing.

------------------
          Dean

Comment

Still nothing from Matrox.

------------------
            Dean

Comment

The EEPROM data "wears out", it doesn't suddenly "disappear during the session". So if you refresh it from time to time you get it nice, juicy and fresh every day. In this aspect the proposed solution works.

Comment

Sorry if I mis-lead you guys into believing we would be doing some kind of a press release.

The statement I was referring to is in the release notes main fix section. The release notes did not come out the sametime as when the drivers were released.

Haig

Comment

EEPROM data wears out? I can only assume that due to faulty chips, the stored image degrades.

If the driver refreshes the BIOS at each startup is this feature also available in OS drivers other than Win9x ?

------------------
                  Dean

Comment

Working...
                  X