g400+k7m=help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400+k7m=help

system locks up when launching 3d applications video playback and about half the time when iam on the internet

when i run pcilist(downloaded from this site i think) it shows 1x agp i have not hack this
    k7m,500 k7,g400,mx300,96megs

Are you using an approved K7 power supply?

96meg of RAM? 1x64+1x32 or 3x32? Either way, try running the RAM one stick at a time. Mismatched RAM often causes problems...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

ps is fine and ram works fine

Comment

That was kind of vague...

Is your PS on the approved list? Just because it may have worked in another system doesn't mean it's ok for this one.

Same with the RAM. Did you test it one stick at a time, or are you assuming that because it worked in another mobo or with another video card that it is fine?
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

yes ps is approved
          the ram i have now i purchased to run with this system it is approved and works fine

Comment

lemcc,

What is the make and model of your power supply??

Also, it is known that the Athlon systems like to have same make/model/size of RAM sticks in the system, if not you are asking for trouble.

Rags

------------------
            Which one is Floyd, and why isn't he Pink???

Comment

Ever Power CWT-300ATX
              i have tried all the basic stuff

looking for something a little deeper

Comment

"I have tried all the basic stuff"
                Geeze, that helps us a bunch. Why not tell us exactly what you have tried, and maybe give us an IRQ list, tell us what drivers you have installed for your motherboard, what the voltage readings are when the crash happens (use motherboard monitor), tell us what kind of RAM you are using and sizes, then maybe we can help you a bit.

Rags

Comment

You are going to have to elaborate more. It very hard to diagnose a problem from 2 and 3-line posts. It also makes it hard to want to reply, when I see that I am putting more effort into replying than you are posting your issues.

Anyway...

What is "all the basic stuff" you have tried? Are your IRQs properly sorted? Have you tried running the system with only the G400 in it? Have you run the Matrox uninstall utility, and done a "clean" install of the drivers (and what drivers are you using?)

And how did you determine the "the RAM is fine"? To me, testing one stick at a time is part of "the basic stuff", but many people don't bother. Just because it's "new" and "approved" doesn't mean it's functioning properly.

The fact that you are falling back to 1x is an indication of bus noise, or imperfect timing. This is most commonly caused by the RAM. I would not be at all surprised if you tried a single DIMM, and saw your system come up in 2x.

The fact that you are having random crashes/lockups in both 2D and 3D is also a common symptom of RAM problems.

Give us more to work with here, and it will get figured out...

Comment

again with this same post...

Do you have the AGP miniport drivers from AMD for your northbridge and your BusMastering drivers from VIA for your southbridge... Did you have USB enabled when you installed windows....?

Comment

Working...
                    X