Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE HELP!! - Display oddities with G400!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE HELP!! - Display oddities with G400!

My problem may not be as serious as some poor sods are getting around
    here...but it is beginning to get on my nerves, so any help would be
    MOST appreciated!

Basically the problem appears in a couple of different situations...first of all whilst using Photoshop 5.5, I occasionally
    get a single multi-coloured vertical line (1 pixel wide approx)appearing on the screen whilst editing a picture. It appears in
    different places on screen, during different editing operations.....sometimes soon after starting the session, and other times not for a while!
    If I minimize the window, then restore it again...the line disappears!

Another area where wierd things are happening, is the start menu....sometimes the black on grey background text appears with certain pixels multi-coloured...(the pixlels appear to move slightly too) thus making the text VERY hard to read! This also shows itself in drop down menu's in IE5 for example.
    I have to restart to clear things up this time.

I'm not sure how much info you folks need to help with this...but I don't want to bore you with TOO much bloody useless stuff......so if you need more than the following please do ask!

My system is:

Abit BE6 II M/B (NY Bios)
    PIII 450 CPU
    128 Mb SDRAM
    Matrox G400 32 Mb DH (5.30 drivers & latest 1.5-22 bios...not sure
    'bout using latest drivers yet!)
    SB Live 1024 sound card
    Yamaha CD writer
    Pioneer 103 DVD
    IBM 22XP 18.2 Gb ATA 66 HD
    Microsoft Natural Pro keyboard (USB)
    Logitech Marble F/X trackball
    CTX 710T 17" Monitor (using CTX .inf file)

There are no conflicts, and the G400 is only sharing with IRQ for PCI steering on IRQ 5...which is O.K. I understand?)

The display is set to 1024 X 768 at 32 bit colour. (STILL happens in 24 bit colour by the way)

Oh yeah, On boot up , I get a couple of "Bad command" lines appearing (From the AutoExec.bat file it appears).....on the following lines:

mode con codepage prepare=((850)C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    mode con codepage select=850
    keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

However after a short delay, the message " Vbtext is running" comes up
    (a Matrox utility I understand to load Monitor Parameters?)....and
    everything else starts up O.K.

Not sure this is connected...but I thought I should mention it!

I REALLY would appreciate any help you folks can offer....I don't want to dabble too much before getting some advice from you kind
    sorts!

Cheers,

Andy B, Bolton, U.K.

I take it you havn't o/c you card?
    How soon do the lines appear?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I had similar issues that would only occur with photoshop, and corel photopaint.
      Forcing AGP1x fixed it, but I didnt want this, so continued to fiddle. Eventually carried out the 'bend the bracket mod', and havent had a problem since.

Comment

well i don't know about the irq thing and the vertical lines but i can help with the error lines in your autoexec file. For some reason windows 98 doesn't actually need either the config.sys files or the autoexec.bat files. To rid you of the problems you can simply delete both these files. (back em up just in case) the system wil start up quicker too!

birdy

------------------
        p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 14gb ibm 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

AndyB, if Maggi is right and you say that your G400 shares the IRQ5 with the IRQ holder for PCI steering, then I'd advice you to look at SynTech's thread on which I gave advice on how to change IRQs...

Jorden.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

the irq holder for pci steering's existence is the same irq is completely normal and indicates the use of bus mastering. however it is a very good idea to assign an irq higher that 9 (the O/S gives priority to these irqs) for performace reasons... i cannot see how this affects that line though....

a clean install (formatting etc) would be the best solution imho if you have the patience to do so...
            PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

I f Iread your post correctly, you said your G400 uses IRQ 5 ...

Is that right ???

If so, configure it to use one at or above IRQ 9 and report if the problem disappeared.
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Many thanks to all for your feedback folks...it's MUCH appreciated.

I'll let the group know if I solve the problems...and how I did!

Comment

Working...
                X