Matrox Boot Disk 1.0 ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Boot Disk 1.0 ?!

I heard of a "Matrox Boot Disk 1.0", which should resolve problems with Matrox cards "forgetting" their CMOS-contents. Anyone heard of that disk? Can it be used for a G400, too?

Jadawin

This is what I just got out of the readme.txt file that accompanies any new Matrox BIOS:

Matrox emergency disk
    =====================

The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) of your Matrox graphics card is a chip that stores basic display information (for example, how to handle DOS display modes). This BIOS can be changed or updated with Matrox software.

Before changing the BIOS of your Matrox graphics card (see "TV output support for DOS" and "Updating your graphics card BIOS"), we recommend you make an emergency disk. If something ever goes wrong with the BIOS of your Matrox graphics card (for example, if there's a power failure while the BIOS is
    being updated), you can use the emergency disk to restore the BIOS. (If there is a problem with the BIOS of your Matrox graphics card, your display may be unusable)

In Windows 95/98, if you're using the "ubioswin" program to change the BIOS of your Matrox graphics card, this program will automatically prompt you to make an emergency disk. Follow the on-screen instructions.

You can also make an emergency disk from a DOS prompt:

(1) Have an empty floppy disk ready.

(2) Type "cd c:\matrox\util", then press [Enter].

(3) Type "makedisk", then follow the on-screen instructions.

(4) Label the disk "Matrox emergency disk", then store it in a safe place.

If you need to use the emergency disk, simply insert it in your floppy disk drive, then restart your computer. The BIOS of your Matrox graphics card will automatically be restored. After your BIOS is restored, remove the disk from your disk drive, then restart your computer again.

NOTE: To be able to use your emergency disk in the future, make sure your computer is configured to check drive "A:" for a boot disk when it restarts. This is the default configuration for most computers, but this setting can be changed in the BIOS of most computers. For more information, see your
    system manual.
    I think you meant this

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jadawin, I think you're confusing two different things here.

The only boot disk I know of is the one Jorden mentioned - the emergency one that restores the BIOS of a Gx00 if it gets corrupted.

But the case of graphics card forgetting their BIOS contents only applies to the G200s - there have been some made which do this, but a driver patch (available from MAtrox I believe) reflashes the card's BIOS during the Win9x boot-up everytime, and so the card shouldn't ever 'forget' its BIOS.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

Thanks for your info, it was that G200-disk I heard from. And I am still stuck with my G400-related problem. *sigh*

Jadawin

Comment

SteveC:

Your tagline should read:
          "The chances of anything landing on Mars is a million-to-one", he said.

Argh!

Bill
          People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Now, that was a nice one billko.

Another probe lost... what a waste

Comment

Working...
            X