G400 vs G400 MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 vs G400 MAX

I have now a G400 DH oveclocked at 118,8 with te matrox tweak utility...
    i'm tempted to buy a G400 MAX but i want to know if it will improved much more the performance of my G400...especially under Q3...
    the problem is that i don't want to buy a card that i'll have to change in march...
    specially when the card is so expensive where i live ($390)...

Its probably a better bet to speed that money on a faster CPU, btw what are you running now? The G400 series does very well when using faster processors. Looking at benchmarks it scales much better than TNT2's and way better than V3's. It keeps up with the GeForce also. I think the money is better spent on a new Chip... Especially if it costs that much for a MAX.

------------------
    PIII 450 @ 464
    generic BX6 motherboard
    G400 MAX : )
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
    Creative 36x CD-ROM
    HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
    64 megs PC100 RAM
    Intel 10/100
    Soundblaster 32 AWE
    DiamondMAX 56k
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
    1 92mm Sunon Fan
    4 80mm Sunon Fan's
    <a href="http://www.tweak3d.net">www.tweak3d.net</a>

Comment

I have a P3-450@630
      the money is not the problem because i can sell my g400 for $200...i allready have a friend who wants t buy it...
      i paid $460 for the g400...$390..for the Max is not so bad...
      but right know i have problems whith the Quake 3...it's not fast enough to play a deathmatch in a lan...
      55fph in demo 1 at 800x600 high quality
      what i want to know is if i buy the Max and make some overclocking...will be much faster...or i'll better wait till march..?

Comment

Well, in that case... In those same benchmarks i mentioned earlier the plain G400 was at the bottom of the pack while the max averaged about 5 fps faster in most tests. OverClocking on the MAX is very nice option too. It does very well. I run mine at upto 180/230, and im sure i can go higher once i add some cooling to the mem chips. If your not too worried about the money, go for it. Its a nice card. The Chips are very high quality.

Comment

i made a mistake...55 is in bilinear..47 trilinear

Comment

Celeron300A@504Mhz
            75Mhz AGP-Bus
            G400DH 125/166
            q3a demo1 23fps
            3D mark 99 4050
            q2 demo1 65fps
            q2 demo2 63fps
            Expendabel 42fps

Celeron 300A@504
            75Mhz AGP-Bus
            G400DH 165/198 +32%/+19%
            q3a demo1 26fps +13%
            3D mark 99 4350 +7%
            q2 demo1 71fps +10%
            q2 demo2 69fps +10%
            Expendabel 45fps +7%

Comment

You do have a very fast Vanilla. That 3DMark 2000 score you posted in another thread (2771, if memory serves me correctly) is faster than my Max with a PIII 600 MHz. And your Quake3 scores are nothing to sneeze at either. (I was wondering what your secret was.)

I know Quake3 is a visually impressive game, but you might want lower the quality settings a bit to increase your already fine perfomance. Lower color depth and texture quality to 16-bit might be a solution. Many on-line gamers do this as a matter of routine.

I think you've done a very good job overclocking and optimizing your system for speed. This is not to say you won't get better numbers with a Max, but that's some Vanilla installed in your machine.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

i think it could be the fsb i'm using (140)
                and the card is running at 118,8 (148/195)...so i would like to know..how much overcloking could you do with a MAX...if overcloking my g400 18,8% makes such a difference in benchs scores...i think the Max overcloked 18,8% would score much better...

Comment

Damn, I wish I wasn't a poor college student so I could try overclocking my max to see what it looks like!!! OC'ing it isn't a problem, but if I burn it out.... AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Wow does college suck!
                  "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                  --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Working...
                  X