Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRG G400 max and Ulead

Hi ppl;

after waiting for 4 months I got my G400 max. (yes it took that long to deliver)
    But now I did some capturing from a camcorder in MJPEG; and after trying several settings I find out that a res of 704 x 576 at 25 fps and a compression of 8.2 : 1 (PAL) gives the best review result on my system.
    But then I got this (maybe little) porblem; after playing around a bit with the delivered Ulead Mediastudio I find out that after rendering the movie (I did use the same framerate, all used fragments were captured at the same seting described above) the result was not so good. It was a bit shaky in full window display (my monitor is set to 1024 to 768 at 32 bits; refresh rate 100 ) and thje colours were not too great.
    I did look at the final result with my matrox remote controll. The intention is to write a result to a normal video tape; so could I expect the same viewing result on my TV or is it caused due the fact that my monitor res. are just way higher than a normal TV set. I didn't get to connect a VCR or TV yet; maybe one of you ppl had the same and could give me some advice.
    By the way, I don't think the PC is the problem, I use a AMD athlon 500; 128 MbSDRAM an a UDMA 66 8.4 G. This harddisk is in use only for the captured video and the rendering results, the rest of the software and OS has another harddisk (also a UDMA 66)

So, what could go wrong??
    Thanks.
    Luc

I can't really answer your questions except to say that if you plan to output to tape, you'll be happier with the results if you use a small TV monitor to view your progress while you're capturing and editing. I find that the image brightness, color, etc. is very different on a computer monitor. If you were to tweak the settings for the image to look good on your computer monitor, it would look like crap when you output to tape and then viewed it on TV.

Comment

Hi Luc

- "It was a bit shaky in full window display"

Do you mean that the Videoframes are jumping
      up and down very fast ? (=> jitter problem)
      I've got the same problem.
      I think it's the RRG.

Comment

Hi;

Frames jumping up and down? No; not really, its more something like the card can't follow the speed of the streaming data.

But it could so after capture, then everything looked OK. Since the render settings of U-lead should give the same result of AVI (the same MJPEG) I guess the card should be able to follow that either.
        Besides, my guess is that not the RRG or the G400 max are the problem, I guess it has something to do with the Ulead software since things no longer look good after they passed that. Maybe I need to try it out on a TV set before looking for other solutions.
        One of these days....; I let you know

Luc

Comment

Grrr.... Hm sorry, Hi ppl!

I did connect a TV set on the G400 max; and what do we learn? A capture of a movie from cancorder; TV receiver,...is perfect. You just can't see a lot of difference (I even can't see any I bekiele)
          So what do I do? After the capture I put the PC-VCR remote on file and play the thing...great!
          But then...I start the Ulead and put this file in a video-field and render it (with the settings I described above) and the result is...black and white????
          What is going on here?
          I would like to give it a try in adobe premiere5.0 but no...adobe can't use the compression. I did put in the settings deliverd with the matrox CD.
          By the way, the result is B/W but not on my monitor; there it gives a coloured video.

Strange...any idea?

Luc

Comment

I think this has already been covered by various threads. There appears to be a problem with playback of certain types of PAL movie on the G400's. I think (but am not sure) that this is both Marvel and G-RR. olliver has stated that this will be fixed in a new release of video tools, and that the release is imminent. He is reluctant to name a date since he doesn't want folk to be dissappointed if this could not be met.

Comment

I have bypassed this problem by using the morgan MJPEG codec found here. http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/ It does expire at the end of this year, but by then matrox should have a corrected one out. I have not had the B/W problem since I switched.

Comment

Go to http://www.jpg.com and get the PICVideo MJPeg codec. A fully licensed version is free.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi;

well I got a few good tips here, thanks folks.

Considering the morgan codec; I had no trouble installing it but I found the quality not too great. The playback was a bit 'shaky' and the colours rather dark.
                  So I took back my old settings and then I tried out the PICvideo 2 with the same results. I must say that the setup of PICvideo was a lot more easy but if one does read the notes carefully the morgan shouldn't be a big problem neither.

Then why are these tips - in my opinion- good tips? Well; after doing some experimenting with the settings I find out that with picvideo you should just not choose the quality setings to high, I got the best results on my RR-G on the G400 max with the MJPEG quarter 25fps settings. Sure, they don't look rasor sharp on the PC monitor but on a TV set they are quit acceptable. So, I guess if I would reïnstall the morgan codec and go for lower quality settings I should get a proper result too.
                  One of these days I might try this, until I mess up the whole thing here and the PC crashes (-;
                  I just got the impression I must find a other setting for the colours, they are a bit dark on TV playback; but that is realy a minor problem.
                  So, until there's a new videotool release of matrox (still the best playback of videocapture without rendering) I'm verry happy with the solutions I got, thanks again.

Luc

Comment

Working...
                  X