G200 and new driver FIX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 and new driver FIX!

Ok, after someone (I forget who.. sorry) mentioned that it seems its not the actual drivers, but the new powerdesk that is the problem, I started playing around. I mentioned earlier that pdesk.exe was using a lot of cpu time and causing stuttering unless I terminated it.
    So, I installed the new G200 driver set with the v5.25 powerdesk. Pretty simple actually. Here's how:

Extract the 5.41 drivers to a directory, and also extract the stable drivers you are currently using to another directory. Now, copy all files that begin with PD (Powerdesk utility files) from the old driver directory to the 5.41 directory. There are around 20+ files to copy and overwrite the new ones. Then just do the normal matrox driver uninstal, and reboot. When windows detects new hardware, point it to the modified 5.41 directory, and it'll install your drivers and the older stable pdesk support files. One more reboot, and you've got a good pdesk and the spanky new 4.11.01.2410 G200.drv and vxd drivers.

In my case, I'm using powerdesk 5.25 with the 5.41 video drivers, and it works like a charm. Yeah, its a pain in the ass, but the new drivers look better, at least to me.

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 03 December 1999).]

Might have to think about this one...why should I go to so much trouble when 5.30 works great on my Tyan BX.
    If the next driver release shows the same symptoms, might have to hack it like you did. My weary old G200 should not be this difficult to maintain.

Comment

Please submit the problem to Matrox:
      http://www.matrox.com/mga/tech_supp/...quest_form.htm

I did so yesterday morning and received an email stating they hadn't heard of the problem. I had sent them about 6 links to various MURC threads letting them know I'm not the only one.

Gotta have more G200 owners bitch so we can get a true fix...

[This message has been edited by LrngToFly (edited 03 December 1999).]

Comment

Rylan, you should be able to do the same thing much quicker and easier simply by going into Device Manager -> Display Adapters and telling it to "Update Drivers". Then just point it to the directory where the 5.41 files are extracted. This will install the new drivers without installing the new PowerDesk. I had to do this with the 4.51 release, since the setup would not work with my G200 SD. It kept my (then) current version of PowerDesk (WHQL certified version at the time), but loaded all the 4.51 drivers.

------------------
        I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

I have same problem too.
          Tried to disable virtual memory for a defrag and the pdesk now is acting normally, the cpu returned to 98 % idle during pause.

Probably problems with virtual memory.

Using Win98SE

Comment

Anid, I tried that like you suggested, but the strange thing is that it still copied the new powerdesk files along with the updated G200 drivers. Thats why I had to manually trick it to get the older powerdesk. But if that works for you, its a lot easier.

I just got my MAX today, so hopefully that install will go well, and I won't have to worry about strange driver problems.

Comment

Nope, somebody else just told me I was wrong too. Used to work, must be a difference in the newer .inf file. Sorry, but it was worth a shot...

------------------
              I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

UP for those who didn't see this yet.

Comment

Are there any significant/noticable benefits going from 5.3 to 5.41 with a G200/PII/Win98SE just now or can I wait till Matrox fix PDesk and release 5.42?

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Opus (edited 06 December 1999).]

Comment

I noticed a slight improvement in image quality, with speed being about the same. I went for it (until I got my MAX) since I'm all for better image quality.

Comment

AMD 350mhz.Efa mobo,64megs dram,g200.
                      Noticed visual improvement and for the first time able to play Quake II at 1024x768 resolution moves at a playable speed!
                      No problem with excessive cpu usage.
                      Consider these drivers the best yet from Matrox.
                      At first had problems,but after changing resolution in game to match actual screen resolution,stuttering,etc. vanished.After rebooting system seems to have corrected any problem and now can change resolutions in game,despite of screen resolution.
                      Sorry to hear others are having problems,hope they iron themselves out!

Comment

Working...
                      X