Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

win2k to have opengl support after all :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k to have opengl support after all :)

Microsoft Discusses OpenGL Support
    By Aaron Dobbins, eFront
    December 4th, 1999, 8:59 PM

In a FAQ posted on the OpenGl Web site, Microsoft has answered many of the questions surrounding the recent whirlwind of rumors that OpenGL support was dropped from the Windows 2000 docket.

Microsoft reports that the first beta of its OpenGL project, entitled Farenheit Scene Graph (FSG), will be launched by the end of the year with the final arriving sometime in the first half of the new millennium. Support for such platforms as IRIX, Solaris, HP-UX, and UIX is also in the works and should be ready a few months after the final release of FSG. Microsoft declined to comment on SGI's level of involvement in the project, and also on whether or not Linux support is in the works. Low-level 3D API (OpenGL) research is ongoing at Microsoft and will continue in the future.

While Windows 2000 will not ship with any OpenGl drivers, they will be available for download from various OEM Web sites and also on the WindowsUpdate page from Microsoft. Drivers will be shipped in a service pack for Windows 2000, planned for the second half of next year.

For more information on Farenheit, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/industry/me...ahrenheit.stm. eFront will continue its efforts to provide you with the latest news on this topic as the reports come in.

------------------
    ***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***
    <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
    " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
    </A>

"Microsoft reports that the first beta of its OpenGL project, entitled Farenheit Scene Graph (FSG), will be launched by the end of the year with the final arriving sometime in the first half of the new millennium"

Hmmm.. First half of the new millennium! And people talk about Matrox being slow to release drivers!!!!!500 years for Open GL seems a bit long!

Peace, Love, and Matrox!!

Comment

Let's not exagerate! They said first half of the new millenium. It could be only 300 years.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Not that this belongs in this forum (Kruzin?), but...

THE REPORTS OF NOT HAVING OPENGL IN WIN2K WERE LIES. THE REGISTER CAN'T TELL REAL NEWS FROM THE NASTY LIQUIDS THAT COME OUT OF A MURCER'S ASS. THEY ARE JOURNALISTIC HACKS OF THE WORST TYPE.

Duh.

- Ash

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Double post... SNIP!

[This message has been edited by Gurm (edited 05 December 1999).]
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I know this will go to Gen. Hardware, but before it does...
            Where was the register wrong? Nobody says that SGI is still working with MS, and if they're not, I certainly don't see MS building a working code base for HP-UX, IRIX, and certainly not Linux. MS would never help their biggest threat, if they can prevent it.

And no, OpenGL drivers in Q3 2000 doesn't qualify as support. That should be plenty of time to kill of W2K gamers, but still appear to be helping professionals using OGL.

-Wombat
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I hate to turn this into "Flame The Register"... but...

The Register is OFTEN wrong. Every time someone comes in here with some off-the-wall prediction (1Ghz CPU's by Christmas! Voodoo4 in September! Windows2000 released in October! No OpenGL from Microsoft anymore!) it turns out to be horseshit. Whether or not they report some actual facts is not the point. One out-and-out falsehood ruins the journalistic integrity of ANY media source. If the New York Times ran an article that said "Hillary Clinton is Dead!", they would NEVER EVER EVER live it down, even if they apologized (and Lord, would their Ombudsman be busy!) profusely. The register never offers retractions for their blatantly false claims, and yet pretends to be a real news source. It's one thing if Reactor Critical, or Sharky, or someone who is mainly an ADVOCACY site or resource comes up with some big news flops. But for a NEWS source to just make shit up... is inexcusable.

- Ash

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

Comment

No need to start a flame the register, we all know they are right only about 50% of the time, Without the Internet we wouldn't have such reliable news sources as the Register and Drudge.

------------------
                Get Paid to Surf the Web! <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
                " TARGET=_blank>http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
                </A>
                Asus K7V
                Athlon 700
                128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                Matrox Millennium g400max
                Adaptec 2940U2W
                IBM 9gb U2W
                Plextor 8/20 cdr
                Diamond MX300
                3com 905b-tx

Comment

Working...