Win2K and new G400 drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K and new G400 drivers

Well the installation of the drivers (5.00.007) seemed to go smooth enough. But after rebooting I noticed that all the powerdesk features where not there. Looked like the standard VGA display property settings, certainly nothing that gave me access to dual-head features !! Then I noticed that when I went to change the
    screen saver, my system totally locked up and I had to hard reboot! Quake 3 starts up
    but I get the grey/white screen which tells me OPenGl probably isn't working either. Over time, things became more and more corrupt. When I opened window, I would get corrupt text. Then all my desktop Icons where blacked out ! Finally, I reinstalled the VGA driver. Then I deleted all the G400 system files and removed all references to G400,matrox, and powerdesk from my registry. I re-installed the new drivers and had all the same problems back. Eventually, I reinstalled the old driver (490.068) and am not seeing any oddball stuff. Could it be that the new driver doesn't like the G400 sharing IRQ 9 with a modem and an ethernet card ?

------------------
    pentium III @550mhz
    intel 440BX pci chipset
    512mb memory, g400max,
    cybervision C70 monitor
    win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

I installed the new drivers and had many problems too (not the same as you though).
    Mostly, BSOD when trying to play DVDs.
    But don't forget it's beta drivers on beta OS...

Comment

do you have your DVD player set to fullscreen? I got powerdvd 2.5 working in win2k, but when I go to fullscreen it'll crash if it changes resolutions... of course my solution is to just run at 1600x1200, so I'm not complaining really

Comment

As always it is recommended for the Matrox board not to share an IRQ other than with an IRQ holder for PCI steering and the recommended irq's are from 9-12 in case you will be doing some shifting that is.

------------------
        Life is what you make it. Boy did I make it suck!!
        Life is what you make it. Boy did I make it suck!!

Comment

I Think I do remember reading that about sharing IRQ's. But when I looked at my resources in device manager, there was no option to change the IRQ settings on any of the devices using IRQ 9. So I guess that's my
          next question, How do I force and IRQ change ?
          Rob
          pentium III @550mhz
          intel 440BX pci chipset
          512mb memory, g400max,
          cybervision C70 monitor
          win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

I Think I do remember reading that about sharing IRQ's. But when I looked at my resources in device manager, there was no option to change the IRQ settings on any of the devices using IRQ 9. So I guess that's my
            next question, How do I force and IRQ change ?
            Rob
            pentium III @550mhz
            intel 440BX pci chipset
            512mb memory, g400max,
            cybervision C70 monitor
            win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

What's the best way to uninstall the old drivers. I used the CP->System->Hardware Wizard->Uninstall but it didn't seem to work. Will the pd_unin utility work in Win2K?

Currently Q3 crashes my machine but I haven't had any real time to work on it. I'll probably just reinstall Win2k if I don't find any clues here.

------------------
              Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Pentium III 450 @ 504, 128MB CAS 2 SDRAM, Matrox G400
              MAX, Sony CPD-G500, Sony GDM-17SE2T, Sound Blaster Live MP3+, NetGear
              FA310TX 10/100 NIC, IBM 9ZLX 9GB 10,000 RPM LVD Drive, BusLogic 958
              Ultra Fast/Wide SCSI Controller, Pioneer DVD-303s 6X DVD-ROM, Toshiba
              6102B 32x CDROM, Yamaha 4260t CD Writer,
              Linux (Primary OS), Win98, and Win2K
              Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Pentium III 450 @ 504, 128MB CAS 2 SDRAM, Matrox G400
              MAX, Sony CPD-G500, Sony GDM-17SE2T, Sound Blaster Live MP3+, NetGear
              FA310TX 10/100 NIC, IBM 9ZLX 9GB 10,000 RPM LVD Drive, BusLogic 958
              Ultra Fast/Wide SCSI Controller, Pioneer DVD-303s 6X DVD-ROM, Toshiba
              6102B 32x CDROM, Yamaha 4260t CD Writer,
              Linux (Primary OS), Win98, and Win2K

Comment

I had exactly the same problem as you did rob_b. I installed the drivers on W2K professional and Server. Server works fine but pro craps out the same way your does.
                :-(

Comment

I have W2K Professional Beta-3 (build 2031). I'm still waiting for head office to ship me our lastest MSDN CD's :-(

I'm not able to get the W2K beta drivers (490 or 500) working with my G400 MAX.

500 is crashing hard, with a complaint about not finding program entry point in videoprt.sys.

490 is giving an error 31 (missing driver).

Any suggestsions?

Comment

G400Max, RC-2
                    w/ Tyan Dual Processor MB.
                    BIOS reports G400 IRQ 10 with about 2-3 other things.
                    W2K reports Interrupt 128 alone.

Rockin' here! The new drivers seem much faster and more stable than before. Lovin the dual head also.
                    (MaxView doesn't quite seem to work right.)

Booted into VGA mode, used the device manager to uninstall the existing drivers.
                    Re-Booted into VGA mode again.
                    Ran the Setup Progam from the download.
                    Re-Booted into non VGA - messed with dual monitors - seems a bit wierd. Got the dual head to work!! Noticably faster with a clear sharp display.

Shut down. Installed a G200 PCI and 3rd monitor.
                    ReBoot. W2K found the G200 installed drivers.
                    So far so good 3 monitors. !!
                    Motherbaord won't enable an interrupt for the G200. It's way way slower than the 2 G400 displays, but working. Waiting for the crashes to happen.
                    None yet, vs. way too many with the previous driver.

[This message has been edited by Peter555 (edited 04 December 1999).]

Comment

How did you get Dual head to work? Do you have 2 (or 3) monitors in device manager? Can you set different resolutions/refresh rates for each monitor? Please elaborate, because I'm stuck with one monitor and nothing I do (including woodoo, etc.) works with the other. TIA

Comment

well, I did a complete re-install of win2k from a freshly formatted hard drive. I even moved some cards around and now I have my g400 max on it's own irq (irq 9). after windows booted up with the standard vga driver i installed the new matrox driver with the setup utility that comes with it.
                        I am still getting the same basic problem that I had before. openGL screen savers lock me up. corrupt text and window boxes on the screen. In one case it locked up when i was looking through some folders. overall, i would say the new drivers are unstable on my system. so i'm back to the old drivers again
                        pentium III @550mhz
                        intel 440BX pci chipset
                        512mb memory, g400max,
                        cybervision C70 monitor
                        win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

Have any of you been able to get the dvd player included on the g400 cd to work in W2K? I'm having trouble even installing it. Do I have to try a different player? Thanks.

Comment

Well, I tried installing the new 2000 drivers in RC-3 on my G400Max but I got really bad artifacts and wierd lines all over the screen. When I start up it's fine, but as soon as I log on it gets really bad, it's totally unusable. Anyone have the same problem?

Back to the good ole TNT for me...damnit.

Comment

The new drivers seem great with RC3, OpenGL is still slower than D3D, but it has improved greatly over the last NT 4 ICD. Now I am certain that those twits that claimed that W2k wouldn't be a good games platform are going to eat their words.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X