5.41 bad for G400 or just G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.41 bad for G400 or just G200

I'm seeing all the posts about 5.41 with g200. Any g400 owners having problems?
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

None with my MAX. Once again, Matrox gives me nothing to gripe about.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

They work with my card!!

------------------
      PIII450@558 256RAM G400MAX SBLIVE
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I'm using the 5.41 drivers on my system and I
        think they are the best drivers yet for the G200.I had major problems with the 5.30 drivers,well windows ran ok but any game I ran it would lock up my system.

------------------
        Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound
        Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

Works With my G200 fine...
          The visual improvements in UT (demo) are nice, the walls look better... or is it my imagination??

Craig
          1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I'm using a FIC VA-503+, 8Mdg G200. A clean install of 5.41 causes my mouse to respond erratically, Left and Right buttons are very slow to respond. This is at desktop level. The computer is virtually unusable.

Uninstalled and put 5.30 back on. Things work smoothly again.

Comment

It does seem as if the 5.41 version of PowerDesk is causing problems, apparently intense CPU usage. Either installing the new drivers with the 5.3 PowerDesk, or just disabling the 5.41 PowerDesk seems to be fixing a large portion of the problems.

------------------
              I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

How do I install the 5.41 drivers with the 5.30 version of PowerDesk?

Comment

Go into Device Manager -> Display Adapters and tell it to update the drivers, then point it to the directory where the 5.41 files have been extracted. This should copy the new driver files without copying the new PowerDesk files. If not, rylan posted an alternate solution in the "G200 and new drivers fix" thread. Or you could do what I did and disable PowerDesk altogether. I have never used it with any of the driver releases and everything (down to icon tracking, etc) still functioned the way it should. All the advanced options still appear in the Display properties dialog, all the monitor custumization files work the way they are supposed to. To be honest, I have never been able to figure out exactly what PowerDesk does do. Like I said, everything works without it.

------------------
                  I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Anid, could you please tell me how to disable powerdesk?
                    Thanks
                    CMB
                    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

or anyone else tell me for that mater :O)
                      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Thanks anid. I managed to install the 5.41 drivers with PD 5.3 but your solution is easier.
                        My machine is now working like a charm with the new drivers.
                        I, too, would be interested in knowing how to disable PowerDesk. Any ramifications?

Comment

You can disable PowerDesk..or do you mean Quickdesk?
                          Games Box
                          --------------
                          Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                          ------
                          Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                          -------------
                          Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Hi anid. Tried your recommendation for installing just the drivers. Unfortunately, on my machine it also installed the newer PowerDesk files.
                            Rylan in the "G200 and new drivers fix" thread suggested a solution that does the trick.
                            anid mentioned disabling the PowerDesk software completely. How does one go about doing that?
                            Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Sorry guys, been away for the day. Check my previous post, "found a (partial) fix for G200". And, no, it is not quickdesk, but powerdesk. I have no idea what the hell pdesk.exe actually does, I have never used it and all my driver features are fully functional.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X