• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a giggle....

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-se...x=0&Search.y=0

go to here and click on the info button for the
    Asus TNT 2 Deluxe v3800 or something
    alternatively just look on the asus website

a friend is getting one, he refuses to believe that my marvel can compete with this hybrid TNT2/video capturing peice of junk
    caling my g400 a 2d card
    AGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

he a fool!!!!!!!!

but i didnt even know this accursed things existed maybe its a good thing and the public wont buy them :O)
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

I'm sorry, what's funny? This looks to me to be a serious offer, even if I'm unable to say whether it is better or worse than Marvel. Or perhaps you are scared in case your friend is right and you did not make the best choice for your needs?

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

ok ok ok
      i had been awake for 48 hours straight and was doing some last minute surfing so i feel i should explain myself....
      i spent a while reading all the geforce/matrox/Nvidea forums and got lost in the pointlessness of it all.

then i talked to my friend whi insisted that this asus thing, is amazingly good, with geforce beating 3D and can capture Mjep, Mpeg 2, in any and all resoloutions and work with straight DV footage also...
      he also said my marvel was no more then a 2d card.

The lack of sleep and baiting got to me and i wigged out ok
      we all have our moments im sure even you have resorted to pettiness on occaison brian Ellis :O)

in the cold light of day, it does look allright but i can find no evidence to support the claim that it deals with all the above mentioned formats...

im sure you would also disagree the fact the the G400 is only good for 2D?

perhaps you disagree?

anyhow have i made myself any clearer ??
      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

My understanding is that the video capture capabilities for the ASUS cards are akin to the capture abilities of 3dfx Voodoo3 3500, meaning it's all software capture, and the quality is fairly mediocre. Do keep in mind though that as a rule, EVERYTHING that ASUS does is top of the line quality, (their motherboards, their cases, their scsi cards, etc) so I wouldn't discount the abilities of anything they make. As for the codecs included, it's definatly compatible with software codecs that would give it MJPEG or DV footage (though I haven't heard of a codec that can capture to DV in realtime on any existing hardware) It also probably has software-based MPEG-2 capture, which can be a huge plus to many who are not interested in professional quality video. (or at least educated amature level video)
        As for calling the G400 a 2D card, it reminds me of when I bought my G200, and I bought it specifically because the salesman lied to me and said it had no real 3d acceleration. I was ticked off when I found out that games ran fine on it, and I was once again wasting time playing games. (which is why I've held off upgrading to the G400)
        That all said, the ASUS card is probably better for playing 3d games than even a G400, but if memory serves, it does not have a built in TV tuner, it has to use an external box for that, and on top of that it's capture quality is inferior. It all depends on what one needs from their video card.

Comment

Hi!

Probably what your friend was alluding to was not the 3-D acceleration but that there is support for anaglyph viewing, if the software is compatible. This is a totally different kettle of fish which, IMHO, is just a pretty useless gimmick.

Without wishing to sound holier than thou, this forum is all about video and not games. I would therefore consider that for the subscribers hereto, games performance would be secondary to video performance, in any case. What would be academically interesting would be to know what proportion of us guys a) also play games requiring quality performance and b) really want to have a card that doubles up for both with top performance. My personal game-playing is limited to the occasional Minesweeper, which requires nothing better than the simplest and slowest VGA and, in fact, is done on a machine with just a simple Millennium II which was purchased essentially for CAD work. My video machine, with a G200 Marvel, is used almost exclusively for that alone. The graphics capabilities of the latter card therefore far exceed my needs.

------------------
          Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

cool, ive actually started a decent discussion
            :O)

I always say after each reinstall that ill use my PC only for Vid editing and college work,
            but then slowly but surely Quake manifests its self, (whatever version) then Pod-Racer then Half-life now UT, not to mention Drakkan (have to try out bump mapping :O)
            not to mention numerous demos, that ive tried out just to see what they are like,

i would guess a few of us play games, im suprised at how well games run on a 16mg card, while some just wont have it at all.

we should start a poll and see what marvel owners really get upto :OP

Comment

Working...
            X