Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGA/PCI+MDA/MONO ok, MGA/AGP+MDA KO? Why Matrox don't release a working BIOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGA/PCI+MDA/MONO ok, MGA/AGP+MDA KO? Why Matrox don't release a working BIOS?

Dear friendly Matrox users,
    I'm using an MGA since Millenium I board come out.

Even if the VGA compatibility of Matrox cards has never be 100%, I enjoined a lot these cards from early beginning.

Recently I switched from a PCI based card (Millenium II) to a AGP card (G200).. *BAD* surprise.. the BIOS has a bug that prevents using that VGA card with an additional MDA (Monochrome Display Adapter) [they don't coesist, the MDA seems dead].

Additional investigation revealed that ALL PCI cards are fine with a MDA card, but ALL AGP are out of the game.

I tried a lot of times to ask Matrox technical dep. for a BIOS patch.. but w/o luck.. they simply say that this "mode of operation is not supported".

Strange! Nearly every other adapter in the market (from the cheapest one to the more expensive).. except newer Matrox cards.

You can say that this "feature" is very odd.. but please note that a LOT of systems that do in-circuit emulation and/or hardware debugging need a MONO adapter for log output.

Any of you have a kludge about solve that problem (BIOS patch or similar)?

I really should change my mind and buy non-Matrox product for a such stupid bug?

Please help.
    Best Regards,
    -Fa-
Working...
X